AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THis is not for a home theater (at the present time, anyway), but it is an office, which I am soundproofing to keep noise in and out. There are only two walls with living space on the other side, the other two are outside walls. The floor is concrete yet to be floored (perhaps engineered wood or nafco).

I've staggered the walls adjacent to living space and am using 2x 5/8" drywall, greenglue (GG) and acoustical sealant (AS). There is also R13 insualtion in the wall and I may also apply an extra layer of DW/GG on the other side of the wall (in the adjacent living space).

I have also double drywalled the joist cavities above (the joists change direction at that wall, so it is actually double drywall, GG & AS against the joist).

The outside walls are staggered with one layer of 5/8" drywall with brick outside. The ceiling will be single 5/* DW with R-19 and a decked attic floor.

The point: I understand that soundproofing can lead to poor acoustics. How does one counteract this so that music and such doesn't sound 'dead'? IS there some sort of paint that will help? Anything else?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
You understand wrong. "Sound proofing" or sound isolation has little to nothing to do with a room being "live" or "dead". The quality of the in room acoustics (from the live/dead perspective) has to do with the acoustic treatments placed in the room (ie, inside the sound isolation barrier). From a quality of acoustics perspective, sound isolation lowers the noise floor in the room ... background ambient noise levels.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good. My misunderstanding means that control over the acoustics is viable. Thanks for the response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts