Registered
17,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
UHD Addict
39,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/20789069

It had to happen .. walmart.com now offers VUDU streaming direct from the Walmart Website .. I'm sure we'll start to see falling prices now ..

http://www.walmart.com/cp/1084447?wm...50891398608891

Now they are using the crap term "Full HD". Of course there is no such thing. It's either HD or it isn't. I hope they don't start using that on the VUDU site.

Plus they don't tell you all the info you need for the proper bandwidth. It just says HDX, 4.5Mbps. There is a big difference between an HDX title at 4.5Mbps(one bar) and one at 9Mbps(3 bars).

But I guess in the end, if it gets VUDU more business then that is good. I certainly would have never guessed 3.5 years ago when I first got VUDU that walmart would end up owning them.

·
Registered
17,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used the VUDU service and I'd use it more often if the price were less .. say about half what it is now ..

An HDX stream on a fast connection using a PS3 is pretty good .. 9mbps consistently may not be BD quality, but it's good .. and convienient ..

·
Registered
17,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/20789096

Plus they don't tell you all the info you need for the proper bandwidth. It just says HDX, 4.5Mbps. There is a big difference between an HDX title at 4.5Mbps(one bar) and one at 9Mbps(3 bars)

yes .. but if they disclosed that, they would probably sell less or just confuse the population at large .. after all, they are now reaching for the Walmart audience ..

·
UHD Addict
39,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/20789121

yes .. but if they disclosed that, they would probably sell less or just confuse the population at large .. after all, they are now reaching for the Walmart audience ..

in this area that is also a large upscale population.

·
Registered
17,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
in this area that is also a large upscale population.
this would be indicative of Walmarts in my area ...

·
UHD Addict
39,188 Posts

Is that from the site where people take pics of customers at Walmart and post them.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Sidestepping (widely) around the issue of common Wal Mart customer's life choices, I've been somewhat interested to know how well Vudu is/will do on WalMart.com.

All joking aside about Wal Mart folk, I've always wondered if Vudu's 3 tiers of quality was just too confusing for most people that just want to click and play. AmazonVOD (by comparison) just has SD and HD, which most people probably feel they understand (even if they have been mislead by media companies) enough to decide which they want (read: Me wants HD, always) but HDX's somewhat ambiguous naming, along with the relatively high bandwidth requirements, would seem to be a recipe for confusion.

Netflix does it best imo as far as point of sale (that is if they offered point of sale transactions.) Pick the title and get the best quality your connection/hardware will give you.

-Suntan

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Please No more posts about how cheap Walmart is. Walmart is the Devil. Let them open stores in 3rd world countries where their business/labor practices are more at home.

·
Registered
17,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/20797910

Please No more posts about how cheap Walmart is. Walmart is the Devil. Let them open stores in 3rd world countries where their business/labor practices are more at home.

I'm not their biggest fan either ...

I'm Interested to see where they take VUDU .. Walmart has owned it for a while now and placing it on walmart.com may be a first move in attempting to reach a more widespread audience .. I think VUDU has really just been kind of an unknown ..

·
Registered
13,359 Posts
I just have a hard time seeing great success by any of these VOD streaming sites at the current price points. It just seems far too expensive except for the truly occasional movie watcher.

·
Registered
17,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/20798118

I just have a hard time seeing great success by any of these VOD streaming sites at the current price points. It just seems far too expensive except for the truly occasional movie watcher.

Yes, they are price comparable to CATV VOD .. I'm hoping prices will go down .. I like the convienience and a VUDU HDX stream at max speed is pretty good .. but like you, I only use selectively ..

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/20797910

They are opening stores all over the place. If people consider Walmart the Devil then they should just shop elsewhere. The problem is you might find it difficult to find stores where the goods aren't manufactured abroad. It's a bit ironic to be criticizing Walmart on a forum devoted to media players which are all made abroad.

phiilp

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/20797942

I'm not their biggest fan either ...

I'm Interested to see where they take VUDU .. Walmart has owned it for a while now and placing it on walmart.com may be a first move in attempting to reach a more widespread audience .. I think VUDU has really just been kind of an unknown ..

Didn't Walmart just announce they were shutting down their online music store? They had a very small market share compared to others.

I assume if they can't get a significant share of the streaming market they won't have the leverage to bargain for lower prices with the content owners. The whole video streaming thing seems very fragmented. Other than Netflix no-one seems to be a serious danger to cable/sat/iptv .

philip

·
Registered
17,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd /forum/post/20805680

Didn't Walmart just announce they were shutting down their online music store? They had a very small market share compared to others.

I had not heard that ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd /forum/post/20805680

I assume if they can't get a significant share of the streaming market they won't have the leverage to bargain for lower prices with the content owners. The whole video streaming thing seems very fragmented. Other than Netflix no-one seems to be a serious danger to cable/sat/iptv .

philip

I was under the assumption (perhaps wrong) that most streaming deals were a fixed price for a package .. so I don't know how much bargain room there is in that .. VUDU has the tech, IMO with the 3 levels of quality .. and the HDX stream is very, very good .. combined with no 28 day window on a lot of new material, makes VUDU compelling ..

I'd like to see an HDX stream priced close to the same money as a Redbox BD .. say $2.00 .. that would save a trip to the Redbox time / gas .. probably wishfull thinking ..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts