AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Looks like a new streaming box is planned from Walmart brand ONN.

Looks good and MSRP of $30 for a 4K streaming box also seems sweet.

I don't have much experience with Android but at this price it looks interesting enough to check it out.

-Brian

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks sort of simlar with significantly different remote and it's the same price but that one was HD.

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
You can buy the 2nd Gen Verizon Stream TV (S905x4) that people get for free on eBay for about the same price. I have one I never use, picked up for ~$30.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Every time one of these devices are so cheap this is my thought process:

Oh neat, that can do a lot
Wow, so cheap.
How did they make it so cheap?
Tech prices are really coming down.
Wait.
Data.
It's just a data collection device that I pay $30 for the privilege of them collecting my data.
Nah, I'll just stick with my own data collection device that I don't fully admit is a data collection device.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Keeping an eye on these to recommend for my brother... he may need to replace a bunch of Rokus en-masse if the YTTV situation gets worse.

Reactions: Brian Hampton

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Update, it does have an Amlogic S905Y2. There is 2GB of RAM and 8GB of internal storage, of which only about half is available to use. It has 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac MIMO WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2. It’s running Android 10 with a slightly old security patch from January 2021. It supports HDR10, but not Dolby Vision or HDR10+. It supports Dolby surround sound audio, but not Dolby Atmos.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Interesting. I know it's a low end device, but for $10 more I'd definitely get the Fire Stick 4K instead. I don't need Atmos on, say, a bedroom TV, but I'd want DV/HDR10+.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
For $30 on a bedroom or kids' room TV, I could live without DV and Atmos. For a primary system, whether a living room or dedicated theater, I'd definitely spend the extra $20 for a CCGTV. I just hope it at least gets the "Discover" launcher update, but sideloading the full "Google TV" launcher will likely work as well.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
DV mainly is a licensing cost that one can't avoid. That can easily add $10 to the cost.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
AndroidTV boxes are becoming a dime a dozen. I have one of those 2nd gen Verizon TV boxes sitting here I never use.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
The more the merrier... I highly prefer the UI and integration (YTTV and general Google used) to about anything else on the market. I'm just hoping some of the issues are addressed before it goes on sale... though, if I picked one up, the main color space issue would likely be moot as I'd be using it on a 4K SDR display in the bedroom.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
For $30 on a bedroom or kids' room TV, I could live without DV and Atmos. For a primary system, whether a living room or dedicated theater, I'd definitely spend the extra $20 for a CCGTV. I just hope it at least gets the "Discover" launcher update, but sideloading the full "Google TV" launcher will likely work as well.
Fair; it all boils down to your environment and what you have/etc. I have a DV-capable set in my bedroom, so I want DV (I'm currently using a CCwGTV, although sometimes I need to switch to the built in Android TV if I want D+ with DV.) In the main setup downstairs I have a Shield.

I do agree with your "more the merrier" statement. And I do prefer the UI to, say, the Roku. Although if I were picking out something for my parents (seniors, struggle with tech sometimes), I'd go with the Roku, because the interface is dead simple and uncluttered. I could easily see my dad getting lost on the CCwGTV.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Definitely Roku for my parents, brother, etc... basically anyone I have to play Tech Support for! That said, if the Google/Roku YTTV tiff goes further south (app gets pulled entirely, YTTV within YouTube app gets disabled), my brother may be switching over to AndroidTV. These would be perfect for most of his displays, and a CCGTV for his living room (cheap 4K HDR10 set) if the HDR issue isn't fixed.

Reactions: cdheer

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Definitely Roku for my parents, brother, etc... basically anyone I have to play Tech Support for! That said, if the Google/Roku YTTV tiff goes further south (app gets pulled entirely, YTTV within YouTube app gets disabled), my brother may be switching over to AndroidTV. These would be perfect for most of his displays, and a CCGTV for his living room (cheap 4K HDR10 set) if the HDR issue isn't fixed.
Yeah absolutely; all of my comments about device preferences assume all the viewer's desired streaming apps are available. I love my Shield, but I wish Apple TV would get there sooner rather than later. Right now I have to use my TV's (Samsung) built-in app, which then eARCs to my receiver, and either because of the TV, receiver, or both, it's buggy. I'm this close to setting up a spare Roku Ultra to use just for ATV.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts