·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marvel’s Scarlet Witch Series Taps ‘Captain Marvel’s Jac Schaeffer As Writer
by Denise Petski
and Dominic Patten

January 9, 2019 3:14pm

Disney's The Vision and Scarlet Witch has found a writer and showrunner. Jac Schaeffer, a writer on the upcoming Captain Marvel feature, will pen the pilot and executive produce, Deadline has confirmed.

The Vision and Scarlet Witch is among the first series that Marvel Studios will be making for Disney’s streaming service that is expected to launch in late 2019. Paul Bettany and Elizabeth Olsen are expected to star, reprising the roles they originated on the big screen.

Olsen has appeared in four Marvel releases (two Avengers sequels, two Captain America films) as Scarlet Witch. The character was initially a foe of the Avengers but then joined their ranks. In the pages of Marvel Comics, the Scarlet Witch has been a compelling figure for decades with mystery surrounding her powers and heritage as well as her romantic relationship to the synthetic being called the Vision (Bettany) — all of which suggests plenty of material to mine.

Schaeffer wrote the screenplay for Marvel’s Black Widow starring Scarlett Johansson that is expected to shoot later this year. She also co-wrote the screenplay for The Hustle starring Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson, and co-wrote the Disney short Olaf’s Frozen Adventure. Schaeffer, who was one of Variety’s Top 10 Writers To Watch last year, is repped by Verve, Writ Large and attorney Erik Human.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/marvel...ptain-marvel-jac-schaeffer-writer-1202532387/

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Awesome to see they got the stars from the movies to do this. All these superhero shows should do that. DC could learn a lesson instead of having so many different people playing the same character.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
At least there should not be the usual amount of pickering about

short/tall
fat/thin
race
hair color
and so on...

Also, lets not forget about changes in the origin stories.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Wonder how much the Disney+ Streaming service will be...because I'll definitely be paying

But with Netflix going up...I dunno

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
With Marvel going, price increases and mostly 2 star ( being generous ) content...
I'm about done with Netflix Streaming. Perhaps I will move back to Disc rental.

·
Super Moderator
18,206 Posts
Thread title updated to reflect new series name.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Olsen has appeared in four Marvel releases (two Avengers sequels, two Captain America films) as Scarlet Witch.
Yes, I know this is nitpicking, but it was 3 Avengers movies and 1 Captain America film. ;)

Anyway, of all the Marvel shows they have planned, this and She-Hulk have me interested. This one though seems odd as it's rumored to be a comedy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
With Disney as a group share stakes in every major media outlet its tough to beat them...but i still love Netflix programming, D+ is for childish souls..

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Disney+ had a successful launch in 2019 and they are building on their momentum in 2020. In a sneak peek at what’s in store for the Mouse House streaming service in the new decade, they revealed a plethora blockbusters and originals but the most noteworthy title was Marvel’s forthcoming original series WandaVision, which was originally set for a 2021 debut but it will now premiere this year alongside The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

https://deadline.com/video/disney-p...guire-the-mandalorian-the-lion-king-stargirl/

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Seems like the opposite of what should happen. We need stuff to watch while we either shutter or self-quarantine.
Making a movie or TV show requires a great deal of people to come together in close contact. Makeup artists and hairstylists are especially concerned about this, because they cannot do their jobs without being right in people's faces.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
^Not to mention, you're requiring people to fly all over the world for location shoots. Once Tom Hanks tested positive for COVID-19, that was it for Hollywood. Studios would be deemed irresponsible and greedy if they continued to press beloved stars into service.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Making a movie or TV show requires a great deal of people to come together in close contact. Makeup artists and hairstylists are especially concerned about this, because they cannot do their jobs without being right in people's faces.
I was assuming that it was already shot and ready to go.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
I was assuming that it was already shot and ready to go.
The article specifies that the halt is for shows currently in production. I assume that means WandaVision hadn't finished shooting yet.

"Marvel Studios is pressing pause on its Disney Plus shows currently in production, which includes 'The Falcon and the Winter Soldier,' 'Loki' and 'WandaVision.'

For shows that are in pre-production, work will continue remotely."

1 - 20 of 177 Posts