AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was originally leaning towards getting a plasma, but have now come to the conclusion that I can go with a FP and build a HTPC for the same price and end up with an awesome outcome. This leads to a number of questions about front projectors, and while I'm reading like crazy in the forums here, I'm still a bit confused. I think have a good handle on what I want in building a HTPC, so my questions are more related to using a HTPC with front projection.

My uses would be recording TV from cable via SageTV, being able to use the FP for computer internet surfing and such, and DVD. This may include HDTV content, as I current subscribe to Comcast HDTV.

I realized that opinions vary, but make/model information gives me a starting point for more reading and research, what are some of the best and current FP's from $1000 to $2000?

Since I have a full blown 5.1 sound system, do I only need to send a signal via DVI to the projector?

What other considerations should I be thinking about when going the HTPC/FP route?

Thanks for any and all advice :)

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Milehigh

Since I have a full blown 5.1 sound system, do I only need to send a signal via DVI to the projector?

As far as sound goes, all you need on your pc is a sound card with a digital out (either coax or fibreoptic). This will pass the digital sound stream to your reciever for decoding. There are cards out with digital outs that cost well under $100 (look in the htpc forum for examples) - theres no need for a high end card since you don't need the analog outputs. In fact, I much prefer doing things this way because the computer is a VERY noisey environment for an analog soundcard even if it's very expensive. About the only good way to do that is external, via Firewire or something similar. Digital is no problem even for the cheapo cards and you can use your existing system.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Lower end projectors might not be so hot for internet surfing, I use an old presentation monitor thats 800x600(similar to many low end proj) and it can be frustrating.

On the soundcard point, several newer motherboards offer digital outs(requiring no soundcard). My asus has optical and coaxial.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.