AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Perhaps a very silly question, but I've done a bunch of googling and even searched around this site and couldn't find an answer. Here's my query:

I'm not sure I'm getting full 5.1 out of my Vista PC. I'm using the onboard optical out, converting it to coaxial, which connects to my Home Theater in a Box, a very low end Yamaha 5.1 setup. Sounds great with my PS3 and 360, but not nearly as impressive when I watch downloaded hi-def movies or TV shows (which have 5.1 audio). I downloaded some test audio files and I seem to be stuck in stereo.

The onboard audio is from a Intel P965 Viiv Motherboard, with the Sigmatel STAC9271 audio codec. I have the latest drivers for that (that I could find; 6.10.5405.0). I'm running this on 32-bit Windows Vista Ultimate, if that makes any difference.

What gets me is when I go to Playback Devices in Windows, I have the SPDIF output selected, and it works, but I can't access the Configure button. The option is grayed out and can't be clicked. All of the other Playback Device options allow for configuration, where you can set up the audio environment, all except the one I want. I can access Properties, through which I can test the signal and hear that a unique signal is being sent to all 5 speakers, but I can't configure it.

I downloaded a 5.1 audio test sample, and while "Front Left", "Center", and "Front Right" all come out of their respective speakers, "Rear Left" comes out of the Front Left and Rear Right out of Front Right.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys. And please let me know if I'm in the wrong area or doing something entirely retarded. Thanks.

P.S. Would I be better off outputting audio from my Radeon 4850? Apparently it has HD audio out, but the only digital audio input on my home theater receiver is that coaxial input (which is why i had to get the optical-coaxial converter).

·
Registered
175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinjapan /forum/post/15493793

Hi guys. Perhaps a very silly question, but I've done a bunch of googling and even searched around this site and couldn't find an answer. Here's my query:

I'm not sure I'm getting full 5.1 out of my Vista PC. I'm using the onboard optical out, converting it to coaxial, which connects to my Home Theater in a Box, a very low end Yamaha 5.1 setup. Sounds great with my PS3 and 360, but not nearly as impressive when I watch downloaded hi-def movies or TV shows (which have 5.1 audio). I downloaded some test audio files and I seem to be stuck in stereo.

The onboard audio is from a Intel P965 Viiv Motherboard, with the Sigmatel STAC9271 audio codec. I have the latest drivers for that (that I could find; 6.10.5405.0). I'm running this on 32-bit Windows Vista Ultimate, if that makes any difference.

What gets me is when I go to Playback Devices in Windows, I have the SPDIF output selected, and it works, but I can't access the Configure button. The option is grayed out and can't be clicked. All of the other Playback Device options allow for configuration, where you can set up the audio environment, all except the one I want. I can access Properties, through which I can test the signal and hear that a unique signal is being sent to all 5 speakers, but I can't configure it.

I downloaded a 5.1 audio test sample, and while "Front Left", "Center", and "Front Right" all come out of their respective speakers, "Rear Left" comes out of the Front Left and Rear Right out of Front Right.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys. And please let me know if I'm in the wrong area or doing something entirely retarded. Thanks.

P.S. Would I be better off outputting audio from my Radeon 4850? Apparently it has HD audio out, but the only digital audio input on my home theater receiver is that coaxial input (which is why i had to get the optical-coaxial converter).

What codecs are the 5.1 in? If AAC, you need to use say FFDShow or equivalent to convert to AC3 on the fly or you will only get stereo over spdif.

If Dolby or DTS, have you ticked DD and DTS under "supported formats" in properties for the output? Do you get Dolby with DVDs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. FFDShow reminded me of a player I used to use -- Zoom Player -- that installs that along with several other useful decoders. I got that and haven't noticed a difference with the AC3 files. The audio sample I have ( http://www.lynnepublishing.com/surro...round_test.ac3 ; source site: http://www.lynnemusic.com/surround.html ) does indeed produce a Front Left, Center, and Front Right signal from each of the correct speakers. However, Rear Left and Rear Right both come from the front speakers.

I have checked off DD and DTS in the Playback Devices. And there is the only time I'm sure I have true 5.1 signal, because a chime goes, in order, from Front Left around to Rear Left. But when I put in a DVD with DD audio, I'm not sure if I'm getting 5.1. That may sound frustrating, but it certainly sounds to me like stereo. Dialog comes from the center speaker, and and the audio for both the Front and Rear on either side sounds the same.

Ought I not have access to the "configure" option under Playback Devices? Would I be better off going for audio from my graphics card? Could I even send that to my receiver's coaxial input? (It's a Gigabyte 4850).

·
Registered
175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinjapan /forum/post/15493997

Thanks for the response. FFDShow reminded me of a player I used to use -- Zoom Player -- that installs that along with several other useful decoders. I got that and haven't noticed a difference with the AC3 files. The audio sample I have ( http://www.lynnepublishing.com/surro...round_test.ac3 ; source site: http://www.lynnemusic.com/surround.html ) does indeed produce a Front Left, Center, and Front Right signal from each of the correct speakers. However, Rear Left and Rear Right both come from the front speakers.

I have checked off DD and DTS in the Playback Devices. And there is the only time I'm sure I have true 5.1 signal, because a chime goes, in order, from Front Left around to Rear Left. But when I put in a DVD with DD audio, I'm not sure if I'm getting 5.1. That may sound frustrating, but it certainly sounds to me like stereo. Dialog comes from the center speaker, and and the audio for both the Front and Rear on either side sounds the same.

Ought I not have access to the "configure" option under Playback Devices? Would I be better off going for audio from my graphics card? Could I even send that to my receiver's coaxial input? (It's a Gigabyte 4850).

No, you can't configure that sort of digital output, properties only. Regarding the GPU and sound, you don't have an HDMI input on the amp so that's no good to you.

As a good test of surround sound, try the Matrix. On the scene on the rooftop with Neo and the Agent ("dodge this!") IIRC the bullets should whizz past you from front to back. It's really quite cool. Make sure the 5.1 track is selected in the audio options.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts