AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Here's James Elvick room. You can check his build thread HERE.

His room isn't completely rectangular, so it was necessary to be a bit creative with the front of the room. Late last year I was away for 2 months, and I couldn't finish the design as I'd like, but I think the end result is very good. And almost everything was DIY, James really deserves lots of praise. Top work.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
One of the rooms I designed in the past few months is Oklahomie's (you can check his build thread HERE), and it was also a lot of fun to do. The room dimensions are 17'2" x 25'2" x 9'7", so it's a very decently sized theater, and despite a few limitations (the main one being the entrance, on the back of the room) I think we created a very cool looking room.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
One of the rooms I designed in the past few months is Oklahomie's (you can check his build thread HERE), and it was also a lot of fun to do. The room dimensions are 17'2" x 25'2" x 9'7", so it's a very decently sized theater, and despite a few limitations (the main one being the entrance, on the back of the room) I think we created a very cool looking room.

I currently have my room framed to 14'x26'x8'-10.5", but am thinking of going to 17' wide and I have a design similar to this, was thinking it better to stay with two rows of 4 to make room for columns if I want. I would also come in from the back and have my steps on the sides. This is making me think to go wider so I can go with a wider 2.35:1 AT screen.

I forgot to say I have a column and beam to work around, but figured I could hide the beam on a soffit.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Some wall color schemes tests, with the sconces Oklahomie was planning to buy.

... and also without sconces.

We also played with carpet choice, and trim, I'll make a selection of those and create a few more animated .gifs, I'll post tomorrow.

What a great resource for people! Wish I had this when I did mine. Fantastic work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
I currently have my room framed to 14'x26'x8'-10.5", but am thinking of going to 17' wide and I have a design similar to this, was thinking it better to stay with two rows of 4 to make room for columns if I want. I would also come in from the back and have my steps on the sides. This is making me think to go wider so I can go with a wider 2.35:1 AT screen.
I'm a big fan of 2.35 screens, I think it makes a room feel even more special. And 17' wide should be more than enough. Regarding 2 rows of 4, in this meantime Oklahomie decided to decrease the 2nd row from 5 to 4 seats, I think it's a great decision. Five would be ''ok'', but four will definitely make the room feel a lot more spacious.
I forgot to say I have a column and beam to work around, but figured I could hide the beam on a soffit.
Where is the beam located? If it's somewhere in the middle of the room, one possible solution is a coffered ceiling. Or something like DaveyK's room, a few posts above. In his room we created several ''fake'' beams, to disguise the real beam.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
I'm a big fan of 2.35 screens, I think it makes a room feel even more special. And 17' wide should be more than enough. Regarding 2 rows of 4, in this meantime Oklahomie decided to decrease the 2nd row from 5 to 4 seats, I think it's a great decision. Five would be ''ok'', but four will definitely make the room feel a lot more spacious.

Where is the beam located? If it's somewhere in the middle of the room, one possible solution is a coffered ceiling. Or something like DaveyK's room, a few posts above. In his room we created several ''fake'' beams, to disguise the real beam.
The beam is shown an called out on the drawing I attached. It's to the north of the room and I did think of doing a coffered ceiling or hiding it in a soffet. There actually two beams that run parallel the length of the house. The one to the south I currently have a wall framed on the inside of it. Another idea was to frame a wall to the inside of the north beam and after DD and GG the room would be around 13.5'. I could live with this and fo two rows of 3, but I like the idea of a bigger room and 2 rows of 4.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You do some incredible work. Wish I had the patience to learn a craft like that. If you still offer this service, Id like to talk to you about a 3D model of my theater build. Its nearly finished, but would be nice to see what it might look like when finished.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
The beam is shown an called out on the drawing I attached. It's to the north of the room and I did think of doing a coffered ceiling or hiding it in a soffet. There actually two beams that run parallel the length of the house. The one to the south I currently have a wall framed on the inside of it. Another idea was to frame a wall to the inside of the north beam and after DD and GG the room would be around 13.5'. I could live with this and fo two rows of 3, but I like the idea of a bigger room and 2 rows of 4.
Understood. Yesterday I was on a rush and didn't check the image properly, but you're right, a soffit would work perfectly. And for sure, if the cost increase isn't significant, 17' wide would be much better.
You do some incredible work. Wish I had the patience to learn a craft like that. If you still offer this service, Id like to talk to you about a 3D model of my theater build. Its nearly finished, but would be nice to see what it might look like when finished.
PM sent.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #218 (Edited)
Hehe, yes Tedd, indeed. Here are Oklahomir's theater remaining images. Well, some. lol Usually during the design process we can easily make 100 or 150 images, depending of what's necessary to test.

3 more animated .gifs, testing stage, trim, and carpets.

Stage with and without black carpet.

Black and white trim tests.

Some of the carpets we tested.

201 - 220 of 306 Posts