AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
I like the black on black as well, but I like monochromatic, and the "black hole" look.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Care to tackle another one? :)
This week I got a couple other requests, which may or not be simple, but send me a PM with what you have in mind and I’ll try to help.

As promised above, here’s the .gif with some different lighting settings I tested for kmhvball. Personally, lighting is my favorite part, because lights define the whole feel of a room quite dramatically. In this case there are 10 sconces (each has 3 lights: top, down, and side), 12 ceiling spotlights, and 3 screen lights. So, a total of 45 lights, with each being fully adjustable in color, intensity, and other parameters. Really cool stuff.

The 4 images show:
- All lights OFF – movie playing
- Screen lights ON
- All sconces ON, screen lights ON
- Ceiling lights ON, everything else OFF

·
Registered
874 Posts
Very cool, I looked at the images and figured out what everything was before I read what each image was. Well done.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I updated the first post, highlighting the need for clear info. Accurate dimensions are obviously a must, and a clear explanation of what the person wants and needs is also crucial. Of course, if the room doesn't exist yet, the focus is on what the restrictions are, the desired type of theater, and so on.

Unfortunately some persons seem to think a couple short paragraphs and room description along the lines of “it’s around 14 by 18”, plus a link to a thread with a room they like, is enough to create their dream room. 3D modeling is NOT something that appears magically out of thin air, it’s usually a long process requiring lots of discussion with many details to achieve a happy outcome. A single room can easily require dozens of hours of work, so please face this seriously. Sadly a good percentage of ppl contacting me either aren’t aware of this, or choose to forget it as soon as the work is done.

At least for now I’ll keep offering my help, but if you contact please, please, please make sure you have correct info, it saves me a lot of trouble not having to correct later. Creating a 3D model can be fun, but having to redo almost everything isn’t. lol

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'm waiting until my design is done before I contact you :)

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I updated the first post, highlighting the need for clear info. Accurate dimensions are obviously a must, and a clear explanation of what the person wants and needs is also crucial. Of course, if the room doesn't exist yet, the focus is on what the restrictions are, the desired type of theater, and so on.

Unfortunately some persons seem to think a couple short paragraphs and room description along the lines of “it’s around 14 by 18”, plus a link to a thread with a room they like, is enough to create their dream room. 3D modeling is NOT something that appears magically out of thin air, it’s usually a long process requiring lots of discussion with many details to achieve a happy outcome. A single room can easily require dozens of hours of work, so please face this seriously. Sadly a good percentage of ppl contacting me either aren’t aware of this, or choose to forget it as soon as the work is done.

At least for now I’ll keep offering my help, but if you contact please, please, please make sure you have correct info, it saves me a lot of trouble not having to correct later. Creating a 3D model can be fun, but having to redo almost everything isn’t. lol
Welcome to the club!! :D.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Sure. Yesterday I saw the prints/images you intend to put on your basement, they look very cool. How big will they be? In any case, it’d be fun to make the model and play with colors, placement of prints around the room, and so on.
The standard prints are 10" x 20", but the artist is willing to print them whatever size I'd like. I met him many, many years ago and we've kept in touch, he's a really cool guy. You can check out some of his stuff on his site: http://www.nigelsade.com/

I'm working on the layout now, so once that is complete I'll ping you with all the details :D

·
Registered
874 Posts
I meant spending weeks and weeks laying something out, and having the customer say, "Ok, but now I want this." And then they change their mind again . . . :rolleyes:
I just went through that with a project I'm working on for my job. Something that was supposed to take 3-4 days took 3.5 weeks! The best is that they can't understand why they are over budget.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Your post has inspired me to do more of my own work. I use Solidworks for everything but have focused a lot on DIY speaker design rather than actual room rendering. It's good to see more people on the forum actually doing 3D stuff.

21 - 40 of 306 Posts