AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Still working in Dizzy’s theater, but in the meantime JRock3x8 asked me to build a rough version of his room. It’s a rather long and narrow room, 12’ by 33’ in total, with height 7’ 9” but with HVAC conducts on the ceiling’s left side taking 10 inches, it’s a challenging room. To make things worse, the door can’t change position, and the room can’t be rotated 180 degrees.

His goal is to have 2 rows plus a bar, and also a small kitchen and a media room on the back. I think it has the potential to be a nice room, but it has several issues, at least if he follows his original layout. The entrance wouldn’t be ideally located (it'd be precisely between the 2 rows), and side speaker placement isn’t ideal either.

A

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Now try it with the front row with two seats, to accommodate the door's swing.

You also might want the riser to extend to the back corners and run it full room width,
to leverage the riser as a full range bass absorber.

The riser could be a foot room and seating riser, on top of a riser, design.

And watch out for where the projector falls, head room-wise, and this might impact on
the room's final length.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Since I am a bit concerned about my 'height'... I am doing what I believe Tedd refers too... I am actually building a 'step height' riser outside my theater and into the main theater area. I'll then 'add' a 2nd step/platform for the 2nd row seating.

In your illustration, all of the 'non-2nd row' riser would be the same height at the step you show... and then just underneath the 2nd Row seating would be further elevated.

The "Bar" would actually be based on the lower level of the Riser Height vs the upper level. I did a very unscientific assessment - I sat in a full height bar stool, and put a tape measure about 'head height + seating riser height' and think the Bar row can see over the top.

So, my 'main riser' area will be ~ 7 1/2" inches, the height of my last step coming down into the basement - so, essentially, I am extending that step to become the 'riser'. My 'seating platform' is then a total of 13-15" (still tbd) above ground, or 5- 7 1/2" above the main riser height.

I am extending the 7 1/2" riser height along side my first row of chairs... which might help here with the door if the door height can be moved up to accomodate the riser/ exterior riser.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Might be able to flip the room 180 degrees and establish the riser height at the first step height, and create a landing there.

Then do an island style riser.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Now try it with the front row with two seats, to accommodate the door's swing.
Great point as usual, Ted. TBH I didn’t even question his seating arrangement, I was more worried with the riser and the height problem, but that makes a lot of sense.

You also might want the riser to extend to the back corners and run it full room width, to leverage the riser as a full range bass absorber
Indeed. If it was my room that’d be the way to go, no doubt. The height would be a problem, even using a semi-riser, but it’d look much better.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Since I am a bit concerned about my 'height'... I am doing what I believe Tedd refers too... I am actually building a 'step height' riser outside my theater and into the main theater area. I'll then 'add' a 2nd step/platform for the 2nd row seating.

In your illustration, all of the 'non-2nd row' riser would be the same height at the step you show... and then just underneath the 2nd Row seating would be further elevated.
Like in image D, correct? I remember when we played with your theater's entry and tested different alternatives, I think that was the best solution. Here it could work very well too, IMO.

I suggested it last week to JRock3x8, even made 2 quick renders to show that he could use the last step of the stairs as the start of the lower level riser.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too am struggling with a narrow basement room for a home theater.

11'6" wide without any framing on the exterior wall
23'6" long with electrical panel on one end
7'6" from the concrete floor to the ceiling joists

Im not even sure what is possible leave alone fantasizing about dual row seating, etc.

Very timely to run into this thread.
Silva - Great works and would really like your help. Can you please PM me? (apparently noobs cannot send PMs)

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
flyfishingnitin, is that 7' 6" of unobstructed height? If so, that is very do-able for two rows.

Two rows of three, or a King Queen Front row + second row of three seats would work.
You do have room length so you have space to do an acoustically transparent screen.
A scope screen with magnetic manual side masking panels might be a nice option.

Another design option would be a bar style second row, with three seats in front.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Wow, wish I knew about this before I started building my theater....great service Silva!
Thanks. Maybe in a few years if you decide to remodel or change color schemes. But looking at your room I doubt you feel the urge to do it, your theater looks beautiful as it it. Having the first row on a riser isn't very common, but from the photos it seems to look good. The overall look is very nice and makes a lovely room, congrats. :)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I skimmed the pages but might have over looked it, first amazing renders, and second anyway I could get the theater seating you used? I have been searching and searching but have not found a set that looks as good as the ones your using and as close as what I am looking for? thank you if you, no worries if you cant.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I skimmed the pages but might have over looked it, first amazing renders, and second anyway I could get the theater seating you used? I have been searching and searching but have not found a set that looks as good as the ones your using and as close as what I am looking for? thank you if you, no worries if you cant.
If you are talking the rendered image silva will need to help. The chairs are palliser lemans.

61 - 80 of 306 Posts