AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been lurking on the forums a lot lately and stumbled upon your thread about creating a 3D render of home theaters. This sparked my interest so I finally signed up after many months of browsing.

Is this something you would still be willing to do? My layout is pretty simple and I won't need perfect colors or flooring. It's a new construction with an unfinished basement, and I have all of the blueprints so dimensions will be easy.

I have messed around with a little program I picked up for the Mac, but it just does not look that great. Let me know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
flyfishingnitin, is that 7' 6" of unobstructed height? If so, that is very do-able for two rows.

Two rows of three, or a King Queen Front row + second row of three seats would work.
You do have room length so you have space to do an acoustically transparent screen.
A scope screen with magnetic manual side masking panels might be a nice option.

Another design option would be a bar style second row, with three seats in front.
Thanks Tedd. Yes, it is 7'6" of unobstructed height. Glad to hear that is workable and two rows sounds awesome. As a first step, I am trying to figure out soundproofing sound treatment options so as to not narrow the room even further. Will take it from there.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I guess I should have clarified; just regular sketchup or sketchup layout, style builder, etc?
Regular Sketchup, no need to use Layout and Style Builder. Those can be useful, but Sketchup despite looking simplistic is a rather powerful tool. Of course, CAD and other more complex software like Cinema4D and Maya have their place too, but as long as you don't need animation Sketchup is a great solution - and even if you do, it allows some cool stuff. I'll try to find one small project I made last year and post it here. But anyway, if you have the time and are obsessed with details, dive into it, it's very satisfying.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Here’s the project I mentioned above. A UK shop dedicated to AV asked me to make 3D models of their main products, ideally to have them rotating on the website, to make the site more appealing and “flashy”. Not exactly an easy task, but I was crazy enough to accept, and to check how doable it was I modeled one of their subwoofers, trying to get as close as possible to the real thing, and to the brand’s official images.

I was quite happy with the final results and the shop’s owner loved it, but in the end the subwoofer’s brand didn’t approve because they wanted the retailers to only display the official images. Understandable, but it’d be nice to know that beforehand. :) In any case, due to that the project didn't move on, but despite the many hours necessary to make it and a lot of trial and error to achieve the right look, it was fun to do. I’ll post below the rotating .gif (it’s several MB’s, it may take a few seconds to load), and one of the static unfinished WIP images I suggested.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
Unfortunately Dizzy had some health problems so we had to pause his theater’s project till he’s recovered, but I’ll paste here some images of the work in progress. In this case my creative input was quite limited, it’s a Erskine Group design, so initially there wasn't much to do than bring their excellent work to life. Dizzy49’s main goal was to test different color schemes, and show his wife the “final result”.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Great work Silva741,
Sketchup can be a power full tool, if you know how to use it (I'm a noob)
I have been putting together my "conceptual" sketup design and have been struggling with applying color or materials to surfaces
And views are a pain in my A$$, that's why I haven't even attempted the ceiling
Do you do most items as components?
Where do you get your models from, I can never seam to find what I am looking for (e.g. the three seats curved)
Any tips would be appreciated
If its alright with you, when I get more complete I would like to send my file to you for a sanity check.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What do you use to for the lighting in sketchup? I found LightUp but hundreds of dollars for a license is a bit much for something I am just screwing around with.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
(...) Do you do most items as components?
Where do you get your models from, I can never seam to find what I am looking for (e.g. the three seats curved)
Any tips would be appreciated
If its alright with you, when I get more complete I would like to send my file to you for a sanity check.
It varies. Sometimes I don’t bother making components for every object of every scene, but usually it’s the best method, it can save time later. Regarding the seats, I built them. The best tip I can give is to make your objects, even if they don't look very good, because you'll know for sure they have precise dimensions. Working with views: after a while it becomes easy, just keep insisting.

Sure, if you want when you’re done I can take a look – I’m still using sketchup 8.0, though, can’t use files made with the most recent version.

What do you use to for the lighting in sketchup? I found LightUp but hundreds of dollars for a license is a bit much for something I am just screwing around with.
Vray. The lighting is significantly better (but unfortunately also more expensive).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would you be interested in helping me with my build?

I started with the basics just for measurement, and can't seem to get past using boxes for everything haha.

Thanks

·
Registered
874 Posts
Would you be interested in helping me with my build?

I started with the basics just for measurement, and can't seem to get past using boxes for everything haha.

Thanks
You won't regret it. As you can see he does a fantastic job.
At some point I'm going to update my post with the progress I've made. Office is nearing completion :)

81 - 100 of 306 Posts