AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying a video camera

Kodak PlaySport (Zx5) it's internal memery is only 128MB so I'll need a SD (flim card)

I was concidering sharing the 1GB SD card I have in my seldom used digital camera thinking that maybe to small, the Kodac has a 2 hour battery so I would like to be able to still have a memery while the battery is charged.

it has been recommended to get a high speed SD card. not just regular.

how are these SD cards rated and what should I look for in a high speed SD card?

A link for a good suggestion is appreciated.

Posting here because HTPC people are the most knowlegdable and this is kindof PC related.

Thanks STB

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Digital SLRs will benefit from high speed SD cards more than a small video camera.

For example, I have an 18 megapixel 4Ti that can burst 5 shots a second. at 22 MB a shot (RAW) that's a lot of data to transfer to the SD card before I can take another shot.

For video, you just need to know the bit rate. My 4ti will shoot 1080P at around 47 Mbps. My HTC One X will shoot 1080P at around 10 Mbps. Big Differance.

SD cards are divided into classes. 2,4,6 and 10. each class equates to Megabytes a second. There is also an UHS-1 (ultra high speed class 1). So using my earlier example, my T4i would need a class 6 card and my phone would need a class 2 card.

Video will eat up space fast, especially if its high bit rate. your real concern is the SD card capacity.

There isn't much of a difference in cost between a class 6 card and a class10 card. The price jumps if you need a UHS-1 card. You probably only need a 16GB class 6 card. But if it were me I would get Sandisk or Transcend 32GB class10

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Andy

OK sounds like w/ video mite as well get the fastest available.

UHS Speed Class 1 (UHS-I): 10MB/s minimum write speed.

I've been reading here a little.
http://www.photographybay.com/2011/01/20/demystifying-sd-cards/

I see there's a major price jump from 16GB to 32GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-171-536&IsVirtualParent=1

I plan to dump every 2 hours of fliming so maybe I can get away w/ a 16GB?

I'll look into what Kodac recommends for this little camera.

The NE link is just a example I've got some reading up and some looking out for a decent sale on the desired SD card, do these UHS Speed Class 1 (UHS-I): 10MB/s minimum write speed go on sale or do they only regular SD cards go on sale?

Thanks STB

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
I bought a camera which can take many pictures at one (up to 10) and then saves them to the card when done. The 10 pictures are all but instantaneously taken and using an UHS card allows them to be saved very quickly, giving me use of the camera again. I felt it was worth it to get the fastest card I could, at 32MB, so I could save movies and pictures rapidly and without having to change the card often.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
That camera probably doesn't support UHS SD cards. Just get a Class 10 HS SD card. Your camera specs say it does about 10 hours of video to a 32GB card. You'd probably be fine with whatever 16GB Class 10 SD card.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts