AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a new game and I am open to ideas, I have been looking at PGR2 and KOTOR, already have Rainbow six 3 which is great, any one with any other suggestions?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
It really depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking for a "sit down for 2 hours game", or a "sit down for 5 minutes" game?

PGR2 is a good "5 minutes" game, where you can play it for a few minutes, and then just take off and do your thing. It is also Xbox live enabled, which is a great feature.

KOTOR is a "sit down for 2 hours" game, very involved, incredible story, great gameplay. :D

For a fun arcade game, you can check out Crimson Skies, also fairly new, which is very fun, sit down for 5 minutes game.

People have been screaming praise for Prince of Persia, you can check that out too!

-Juice

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Beyond Good and Evil is a good game as well that only costs $20.

I would say KOTOR is a good game as you should get tons of gameplay out of it. Supposedly it takes 40 hours to play on the light/dark side so you can play through it twice and get different stories.

·
Registered
44 Posts
has anyone played KOTOR thru both paths? I played on the light path and it seems like there would be a lot of the story that is redundant if I went thru again on the dark path. Would I be better off choosing a save game from a "key decision" and playing it out from there?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Play through it again, choose the different gender and follow the dark path. Granted, a the "basic" storyline is fairly similar (you will still go to the same planets, etc.) but a HUGE amount of it is completely different.

It's very worth it to go through the game both ways, I highly recommend it. If you do decide to, definately start from the beginning. The difference is noticable right away. :)

Enjoy!

-Juice

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
I completely disagree that PGR2 is a sit down for 5 minutes game. It took me many many hours to get all golds and now I'm playing through trying to beat all my friends scores (and for the most part, I'm smoking them!) Very very addictive and definitely the most time I've ever spent on a racer, even ones I love!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dschroll
Beyond Good and Evil is a good game as well that only costs $20.
Ditto on this--for $20 you really can't lose.

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ECM
Ditto on this--for $20 you really can't lose.
I'd just like to elaborate more on this game. I'm about half way through it and it's really good so far. It's definitely a game that is fun to play and you can either play for short periods of time going from save point to save point or you can play as long as you want completing a mission at a time. It's a really well made game and for $20 it's probably one of the best game deals out there on any platform.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I'd second the suggestion for Prince Of Persia - that's a beautiful game, and fun to play too! Couple that with the fact that now you get Splinter Cell for free when you buy it (if you don't already have Splinter Cell) and you can't go wrong.

If you like shooters, you can't overlook RTCW - it's a great game - and it's pretty long too. My only complaint would be the inability to save co-op games - but it's not like RTCW is the only game that lacks that... grrrrr!!!

Personally I got bored with KOTOR pretty early on in the game and just recently traded it in on EB's Ninja Gaiden deal.

If you like RPG's, I'd suggest looking at Dues Ex: The Invisible War - it's an pretty much an RPG story line with FPS battle control, which personally has more appeal for me than a straight "attack now" RPG.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
If you like computer style RPGs (as opposed to Zelda and Final Fantasy console types), Morrowind Game of the Year is likely the best buy you can make. On a $ per hour basis it is hands down the best deal - with over 300 hours of gameplay not including the new expansions it's a phenomenal deal for the $20-30 range. There is a massive online community of fans out there with tons of sites and forus. To be honest though, you will either love it or hate it. It's scary how much time that game can suck from your life - unfortunately to really give it a try you need to invest more than just a rental period. It's also more flexible on the PC since you can download the mods easily (note- you need a good PC to run it).

Something to look into if you are a fantasy/RPG fan and haven't already heard about it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I consider KotOR the best xbox game released so far. Took me about 60 hours on the light path, about 45-50 as a dark jedi (since I knew a lot of shortcuts from the first time through).

When it hits the bargain bin, I'm buying the pc version for high res gameplay, and playing through as a grey jedi ala Jolie Bindo. Great game.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I hear Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is really good. I want to get it but am going to get KOTOR first. That is after I beat the 1/2 dozen other games I am in the middle of first.

And speaking of Star Wars games, Star Wars: Battlefront is on the way. It is basically Battlefield 1942 in the Star Wars universe. Looks awesome.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just picked up KOTOR and played couple of hours. Decent so far, three people in my party and I am in the sewers. Thanks for all the input!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.