AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a bit a research, and some overwhelming desire on the Arstechnica forums, i have my heart set on a Panasonic G10 or G15 display. But I am a little concerned about burn in with my viewing habits. I had thought that plasmas had overcome burn in issues but alas while it is probably an overstated subject I am still a little concerned.

I typically hate stretching screen images, especially SD content. I don't mind black bars, so it is likely the majority of the content I view will have some cropping bars. Right now our viewing habits are 60% SD content, 40% WS format (with a sprinkle of gaming).

So what would the AVS community advise me to do? Is the likelihood of burn in great enough that I should look at a a LCD or LED instead?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had the same concerns, but really if you read around this is NOT an issue of any significance anymore. You will occasionally see some temporary image retention, but it is of no concern.

For me, wading through the mire of technological patches applied to LCD's to try to make them perform as well as plasma's was ridiculous.

When I discovered plasmas no longer suffered from those old issues, the choice was easy. My 42G10 is great. I'd buy it again and would choose it over LCD's costing more than twice what I paid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would believe black bars are less likely to burn in than gray or colored bars.

Also, the steps to avoid burn in are simple.
  1. For the first 100-200 hours of viewing, do not crank up your contrast and brightness. Search this forum and you will find the exact setting for you model.
  2. That's it.
  3. Seriously, you don't need to do anything more. But you strike me as a worrier, so you can also
  4. Keep static images, such as controls in a game, for no longer than 4 hours at a time.
  5. If you're still worried, just make a conscious effort to watch something full screen without anything static every 2-3 hours

Plasmas these days come with anti burn in tools such as pixel orbiting, which "wobble" a paused image around the screen in a way that the eye can't see. Also, there is a setting on my Panasonic that sweeps a 100% white bar through a black screen and is designed to fix an image retention that might have a occurred. But the bottom line is most plasma owners never come to a site like this and never worry about their settings for the first 200 hours of viewing and just watch TV and they never get burn in.

Burn is only a issue during the first half-life of the phosphors, so after 200 hours, you really never need think about it again.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
One thing that can help. I have a Pioneer, not a panasonic, but I have a HTPC hooked up to it. After running the breakin slides for a week, I was very careful and avoided any games with static bars etc... etc... I also left the HTPC on with a 10-second slideshow wallpaper always playing when I wasn't using it and would switch to an unused input on pause screens. I still leave the screensaver running for idle times sometimes. Watching in this manner, I have 0 issues with image retention, 0 burnin, 0 black bar differential on the top and bottom - even after playing games with static logos for extended periods. For 4:3 content, I stretch it with Media Player Classic Home Cinema and the result is quite good and natural looking. Keep the panel on its toes and you shouldn't see IR/BI. It's also better to baby it a little more the first couple months to let it settle down and thereafter get into regular maintenance habits to keep the phosphors balanced.

Of course, if you unluck out and get one of the black level risers, you'll also probably get significant IR so bear that in mind.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Burn-in was supposed to be a thing of the past when I bought my 9G Panasonic 3yrs ago as well. However, I watched so much SD content on mine, it did burn in. Perhaps a lot has changed in 3-years, but I'd take those "plasmas don't burn in" comments with a grain of salt. After all, plasma is still a phosphor-based display, and phosphors will age with use.

I would recommend using zoom mode for 4:3 content. It's what I've been doing recently in order to get in the habit in preparation of a new plasma. That keeps the aspect ratio correct, and I've noticed that as long as there's no caption at the bottom of the screen that I need to read, I really don't miss anything on the tops and bottoms.

I do wish broadcast TV would do something about the black bars on 4:3 content since it's not possible to do anything about their color since they're embedded into the source. I like how on America's Most Wanted, they duplicate and blur the sides into the pillarbox rather than leaving them black.

·
Premium Member
18,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoraster /forum/post/18146269

SD content is for troglodytes. It's 2010.

Yeah it may be 2010, but the majority of channels and programs are still in 4:3 SD. If there's no HD equivalent of a particular program that we like to watch, are we just supposed to not watch it at all?

I've been watching a lot of 4:3 SD programming on my G10 for the past 7 months and i have no IR and no Burn-In.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18146306

Yeah it may be 2010, but the majority of channels and programs are still in 4:3 SD. If there's no HD equivalent of a particular program that we like to watch, are we just supposed to not watch it at all?

I suppose my experience conflicts with yours. I've only heard this complaint from my mother who occasionally watches melodramatic rubbish on the SD-only Hallmark Movie Channel, or whatever the station is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.