Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A warning to those who want a quiet hard drive:

I recently bought a Seagate 120Gig Barracuda V Serial ATA drive to replace my very quiet 80Gig Barracuda IV. It was a bad move. I just found out from Seagate tech support that the Barracuda V SATA's do not support 'acoustic management,' meaning the seek noise is annoyingly noticeable.

You may be tempted to get this drive due to the 8mb cache but I tell you the extra noise is probably not worth it.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Phoner,

Thanks for the feedback! It's very appreciated.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Do they have the fluid bearings, so the normal spinning noise is low?

I personally don't mind the seek noises. But the whine of some other drives kills me.

I have several of the standard IDE 120GB Barracuda V's, and I'm very happy with them. They are MUCH quieter than the Western Digital 5400RPM 120GB drives I bought before them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tji
Do they have the fluid bearings, so the normal spinning noise is low?

I personally don't mind the seek noises. But the whine of some other drives kills me.

I have several of the standard IDE 120GB Barracuda V's, and I'm very happy with them. They are MUCH quieter than the Western Digital 5400RPM 120GB drives I bought before them.
The normal spinning noise is not bad at all - in fact just about silent at idle. But unfortunately that makes the seek noise all the more noticeable.

BTW if you have the standard 120GB Barracuda V's your drives are probably also set on the louder 'performance seek' mode rather than on 'quiet seek.' But with your drives you can easily enable 'quiet seek' with the Seagate Acoustic Management application or with Intel Application Accelerator.

This is what really burns me about the SATA drives - although the manual notes the specs for the drive in both 'performance' and 'quiet' seek, when you get the drive you find it is not possible to switch between the two.

·
Registered
141 Posts
FYI the new Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 drives are the IDE drive Seagate is selling now. The seeks are slightly noticably louder than the Barracuda IV and V, but PCMark 2002 shows that they are significantly faster than the older drives. They're still quite quiet, but closer to the average hard drive's noise level. Earlier this year I got a Barracuda V 120GB IDE drive since I couldn't wait for the S-ATA drives. Oh, I just saw a new nSpire brand power supply that actually had a S-ATA power connector wired to it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
it's also worth noting that the 7200.7 drives DO NOT support AAM either..

so it looks like they keep getting louder every generation

in terms of noise:

IV

very disapointing if you ask me

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Azol
it's also worth noting that the 7200.7 drives DO NOT support AAM either..

so it looks like they keep getting louder every generation

in terms of noise:

IV

very disapointing if you ask me
IV's are quieter than the V? That's news to me. Are we comparing the same number of platters?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phoner
... But with your drives you can easily enable 'quiet seek' with the Seagate Acoustic Management application or with Intel Application Accelerator.
Could you explain how to do it and where to download the Seagate Acoustic Management application? I could not find it on Seagate web.

Thanks

Tomas

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by krag
How do you use IAA to turn on the acoustic mode - the seagate software is DOS reboot disk only. Not useful with WinXP!
Quote:
Originally posted by tj21
Could you explain how to do it and where to download the Seagate Acoustic Management application? I could not find it on Seagate web.
I have only done this with Intel Application Accelerator, which is very easy. However you should be able to do it with the the Seagate app, which should be here.

Put an empty floppy into your drive and when you go to format it, choose the option to make it a bootable MSDOS disk. Put this file on it. Leave the floppy in the drive and when you reboot, you should get a command prompt at which you can run the app. Let me know if it works.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MagnusB
I want to know, which is the quietest drive, full stop.

///Magnus
According to this it is the Barracuda IV.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Ok dumb question here, but lets say you have a 30db drive and a 30 db fan in your HTPC. What is the total noise from the system? 30db? Certainly its not 60! Right? Or is it in between?

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is a certain way to calculate the total noise..

I don't know the exact formula, but I think 2 30dB items should be about 32-34dB total..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.