AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just like the title says I am getting ready to close on a preexisting home . I want to have at least a 6 zones whole house system audio video with the ability to see and change songs from certain zones. Because the house is not yet wired for this I would like input from those with experience, in adding wire to preexisting house or any that has used an alternative like Sonos. I am trying to do this mostly myself due to tight budget, but I do understand that I get what I pay for. All advice will be appreciated

by the way I need to be able to intergrate this into my Diy HAI home automation system

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
is this in the wrong area?
It's the right area but such a broad and frequently asked question - you'll be better off reading any number of WHA threads first to figure out exactly what you want...

If there is no pre-existing wiring - the question will be: can you run wires to every one of the speaker locations (and keypad locations, too)? If so, you have a lot of options.

If not, you should definitely look at the Sonos systems, as well as the NuVo Player and Denos HEOS. All of those product lines have zone player-based systems that network over WiFi, and therefore avoid the need for home-run speaker and control wires. They also have the benefit of a "buy a zone at a time" pricing.

Jeff

Reactions: SMHarman

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Each time we paint a room, I see it as an opportunity to run new cables - that can be the biggest hurdle to retrofitting. Fixing drywall is super easy, for the painter.

If you have attic above or crawlspace/basement/garage below, you can usually retrofit cables without drywall repair and painting.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Each time we paint a room, I see it as an opportunity to run new cables - that can be the biggest hurdle to retrofitting. Fixing drywall is super easy, for the painter.

If you have attic above or crawlspace/basement/garage below, you can usually retrofit cables without drywall repair and painting.
because I am in florida I don't have basement access. But I do believe that that I will have attic access and since it's a 2 story home I will have to ip up floor boards at a later date ,but I planned to to this anyways. Since I don't want volume control knobs in the room can I each zones volume be controlled from a central location and from smart devices in the zone ie phones.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
If you just want audio and don't want to rip the world up buy Sonos. You can even get the connect for the main audio zone and plug it into a better amp.

Where you can rip into ceilings yo cable speakers the AMP does the job.

TV zones can have the plaubar.

Transient zones the play1 and play3.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts