AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 382 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Great idea and I agree that this should be a sticky.

·
Registered
8,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/13033077

Wonder if the mods would be so kind as to sticky this thread?

Seems like you got your wish.
Congratulations Stephen!

Ian

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hey lalakersfan, do you think you could edit your original post to be applicable to speakers, or would you mind if someone else did? I.e. change the subwoofers you mention to speakers, etc. We really need a sticky covering this in the speaker forum as well.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb /forum/post/13066801

Hey lalakersfan, do you think you could edit your original post to be applicable to speakers, or would you mind if someone else did? I.e. change the subwoofers you mention to speakers, etc. We really need a sticky covering this in the speaker forum as well.

As long as you pay me my royalty fees, feel free to do whatever you like

·
Registered
8,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/13067686

As long as you pay me my royalty fees, feel free to do whatever you like

Ian

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Lalakersfan, I just though of another possible item for you nearly complete list:

Timeframe: Many subs can be bought immediatly or within a few days, while other may be back-ordered for several months. How soon do you need it?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/13128583

Lalakersfan, I just though of another possible item for you nearly complete list:

Timeframe: Many subs can be bought immediatly or within a few days, while other may be back-ordered for several months. How soon do you need it?

Great idea. I added it now, thanks

·
Registered
927 Posts
Looking to replace my now dead Infinity BU1 powered subwoofer for my home theater setup. The BU1 was a 50 Watt 8" cone sub with 45 to 150 Hz freq response with 50-150 Hz crossover freq

Here is my info to help you recommend a good replacement for me:

I would like to upgrade to a 10" size cone sub from the 8" BU1. I dont think I need a 12" cone sub and dont think I (my wife really) can tolerate such a huge thing, but you guys tell me after looking at my specs below

Budget - limited as I just spent a load of cash on the rest of my system (see below) so I would say between $250 to $350

Color/quality - want a black sub to match the rest of my equipment and not be too huge

Room Size - 15 ft wide (left to right when looking at TV) x 26 ft long front wall to back wall, with vaulted ceilings

Distance from Sub to main listening areas - 13 to 15 ft

Listening ratio : 75% TV/Movies and 25% music

I dont need the music or movies at reference level but want to enjoy them at decent loudness levels when possible but mainly it will be normal levels

Music types I enjoy the most - Rock / Metal / Jazz / Pop

Movies - Drama / Action and Concert DVDs

My equipment list:

Panasonic TH50PZ700U plasma TV

Onkyo TXSR705 receiver (with the advanced HD codes decoding capability)

Pansonic DMPBD30 BluRay Player

Sony PS3

5 disc CD player

DirecTV Satellite TV (SDef now but soon to be HiDef)

Current Speakers 5.1 system -

- Infinity CC-2 Center Channel (10-100 watts; 90 to 20,000 Hz freq resp, xover 3,000 Hzl 110 db max output)

- Infinity Reference Series 2000.2 L/R surrounds (15 to 100 Watts; 50 to 20,000 Hz freq resp)

- JBL G300 main front L/R speakers (10 to 80 watts; 50 to 20,000 Hz freq resp; 600 Hz x-ove; 3 way with 8" woofer)

- and the dead BU1 needing replacement

No rear L/R for 7.1 yet

A few in other groups have suggested SVS or or HSU

I appreciate any and all suggestions

·
Registered
446 Posts
What about placement... would that affect which subwoofer to buy (ie i want to put it directly under my tv, vs off to the side a little, vs elsewhere) or would that warrant its own thread?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mi /forum/post/13256648

What about placement... would that affect which subwoofer to buy (ie i want to put it directly under my tv, vs off to the side a little, vs elsewhere) or would that warrant its own thread?

I'd say make your own thread for that...same with the previous poster. Placement is very important, but I think "aesthetics" and "size" pretty much cover "placement" (I went out on a limb when I made this thread and assumed people could measure for themselves to see what subs would fit in certain places
). I guess you might care if a sub is magnetically shielded if you're putting it right next to a CRT TV, but other than that, placement is something you'll have to experiment with and figure out for yourself. You'd be amazed what a difference even subtle changes in placement can make with regard to bass response, but only you can really figure that out after listening and trying different places yourself.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
lalakersfan34,

May I suggest that all post except yours at the very first of this thread be removed and then lock the thread.

·
Registered
94 Posts
great idea for a thread. I just purchased a Axiom EP 350 sub. The reasons I bought it are in not any order.

1. I didn't want to wait.

2. I'm going to use it as a end table. So the finish was a main factor.

3. I have other Axiom speakers and like the product and the service.

4. I though alot about doing a DYI sub, but I fugured the cost would be about the same. Plus I'm having a hard time understanding sub design.

So 2 week ago when I decided to purchase the Axiom sub I used the same 8 points in the 1 st post to make my decision.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I want to pair this with a pioneer elite VSX-94TXH. I want good solid performance on this sub. Also can you guys recommend a good site for newbies when it comes to learning the terminolgy and specs i should be looking for when it comes to speakers and subs in general?

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
hi all,

i'm new to this forum but need your assistance in finding a Sub that meets my needs for HT use with some music about 80% HT 20% music. I have a small child so i listen to the system at a medium range with some days at a loud level if my son is at his grandparents.

Following LALAKERSFAN34 rules before posting here goes:

Budget: Under $1000

Woofer size: 10- 12"

Room Size: 14.5' x 25' x 9' around 3250 cubic feet

My current HT consists of:

Pioneer Elite VSX 84 txi A/V receiver with PSB image T5 fronts and a PSB image c40 center and Boston accoustic in-ceiling DSi485 rears.

The T.V is a Samsung LNT-5271

What would you suggest to compliment this system?

pete

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Lets give pete the award for including all the needed information......woops....where's the wife acceptance factor stuff..... take the award back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm considering changing powered subwoof (12" big, boxy, shiny black top) placement from corner to center of room under 'proposed' wall mounted flat panel display & then stacking shielded center channel spkr on top of the subwoof; any technical problems to anticipate re electronic or acoustic interference? Thanks for any tho'ts any may have.

21 - 40 of 382 Posts