AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to display digital photos from my PC on a big screen. Some day (when it is here) I also want to display HDTV. So far the LCOS technology seems to be the best. Am willing to spend $8K or so.

Toshiba seems to have a good unit from the posts I've read. They have announced two new LCOS models for this Fall.

Am not familiar with all the abbreviations in the tech specs. I want to display images at the equivalent of 1280 x 1024 which is my current PC monitor setting. I would not want the aspect ratio of the image from the PC to be altered on the TV. I would expect that the HDTV formatted TV screen would have some vertical black bands on each side of the picture.

What kind of interface will the TV have to have? What kind of scaling would be required? Would the scaler be built into the TV? How would I know from the specs if the TV can handle this? I have seen the term DVI but don't really know what it means.

All help will be appreciated.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
I can't answer your questions but you need to do some careful reading. For instance you don't seem to be aware that the Toshiba LCoS is in an "indefinite" delay mode right now.

Read the threads about the type (LCoS, DLP, LCD, CRT) of TV that you are interested in. Don't try to find out everything in one message unless your house is on fire and you will not get another chance on the Internet for months to come.;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've had (and have) some complaints about my Sammy DLP (HLN617W), and the best it will do natively (and the best quality on it) is 1280x720... Having said that, though, I am almost shocked at how clear the PC desktop (and everything else is) via the 15 pin DSUB input. Some say the DVI input is clearer in some cases, but I haven't gone any further than the VGA input... It really is fabulous... FWIW

Marc

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I too am waiting for the toshiba LCOS. Though you should be warned that the toshiba LCOS will have the same limitations for PC use as their last model released this year has....namely only a 1280x720 resolution when connected to your PC via DVI. This was a dissappointment to many people in the HTPC world. You can read about it on the Toshiba LCOS owners thread. Its a shame you can't use the full 1920 x 1080 pixels in their 1080p LCOS set with the PC....very bad for us wanting a large monitor for our PC.

While I was waiting for the Toshiba, I got a digital front projector to display my photos. The Sanyo PLV-70 and a 130 inch positive gain screen for nice daytime viewing even in bright light (PLV-70 has quite a bit of lumens) is about $6K with a nice screen. And the resolution is 1366 x 768.

If you are willing to wait until this winter, samsung is releasing a 46 inch flat screen LCD TV at that time and I believe its resolution is going to be higher than the 1280x720 we see nowadays. I have a feeling the best bet may be to get a samsung DLP set 1280x720 which is much cheaper than the toshiba LCOS, and then waiting to purchase a real 1920x1080 TV/monitor for PC use when they exist in a couple years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.