AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried this and it works real good for me and it may help you out.

What I had been trying to do was have good detail in real dark images and then have the image go as black as possible when it was supposed to. The best I could get was good detail with dark images and almost get the tubes to shut off completely.

This is where I tried out the CLEV feature on Powerdvd 5.0. I adjusted the tubes so they were completely off for a black image, set the brightness level lower and what do you know the details are there in very dark images. I played a concert DVD that goes almost completely black between some songs and I was suprised on how black it was, there was a song where they used a strobe lighting effect and it was very close to using a real strobe light in a black room.

Some people think HTPC is too much trouble, but I think they have just started to come out with programs that will make it so you can get the best out of your "Theater".

Try it you may like it.

Deron.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I too use PowerDVD 5. In fact that's all I use now. I've tried WinDVD4 and 5 and NVDVD2.55 and the older PowerDVD4. I think that the latest version sends the best yet to my Barco 800. It also seems the most stable and versitile (DVD, SVCD, Etc.). I'd like to see the new NVDVD3 when it comes out. I too keep mine set up so that black is black.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
What is CLEV? I'd check their website but I have a strong suspicion that I won't find a technical description.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ok, it does explain it. I dunno, I'm not sure I like the idea of the player automatically adjusting levels mid-movie.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lifer

Not sure how it goes about adjusting the level, but I can not see the change while the movie is going. It does have a nice feature us tweakers will like, a split screen to show what it looks like with it off and on. I noticed the colors are better too.

If you have Powerdvd already it is only a $20.00 upgrade. I have spent way way way more then that on lesser improvements.

Deron.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Deron,

could you post a screen shot with this split screen showing the difference?

Roland

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.