AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone who used the Dish 5000 plus modulator plus the Unity Motion box tell me what they think of going to a Dish 6000? The current combo works fine, but it might just be time for a change. I would plan to keep one of my two UM boxes for satellite stuff.

Al Keown

Phoenix

·
Registered
338 Posts
Tough question...

As far as the Dish Network HD channels, there really isn't a difference in picture quality. [The "gamma correction tweak" is supposed to be in the next 6000 download. But for now, the 6000's picture looks a little washed-out if I last adjusted for the UM, or the UM looks a little dark if I last adjusted for the 6000.]

The 6000 gets analog OTA channels, and I don't have to switch-inputs to get the guide (which the 5000 doesn't output through the demodulator.)

My UM also gets HD MPEG statellites (e.g. PBS-HD, the occasional ABC-HD presentation, and when the NBC-HD satellite's inclined orbit is near-center, the Tonight Show.)

Try and get the Panasonic 50 or 51 and HD1000 HD VCR -- it goes great with the 5000 and modulator.

The 6000 has a little faster processing of the guide, etc. but don't upgrade just for that.

Bottom line: if you like the current picture quality, stay where you are for now. The HD PVR is about 6 months away, and might be worth saving up for.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.