AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an aging HD32 Optoma. Getting "Lamp replacement" messages on boot up. About 2k hours on lamp.

Would like a pj with 1080p to go with my new Sony 1080p BDP-N460 Blu Ray DVD player. Blu Ray looks good now, but guess it could be better.

I have a completely light controlled room. Optoma PJ now hangs from ten foot ceiling. Throw is 25 feet to a 12 foot wide Daylight high performance roll-up screen. PJ now triggers roll up screen. 25 foot HDMI cable to DVD player.

I want a PJ that will better work with 1080p. The Optoma is 1080i. I am not a videophile and don't need perfection that comes with an expensive high end pj.

Under $1,000 would be nice, but could go as high as $1500.

Your help appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolygums /forum/post/18176609

I have an aging HD32 Optoma. Getting "Lamp replacement" messages on boot up. About 2k hours on lamp.

Would like a pj with 1080p to go with my new Sony 1080p BDP-N460 Blu Ray DVD player. Blu Ray looks good now, but guess it could be better.

I have a completely light controlled room. Optoma PJ now hangs from ten foot ceiling. Throw is 25 feet to a 12 foot wide Daylight high performance roll-up screen. PJ now triggers roll up screen. 25 foot HDMI cable to DVD player.

I want a PJ that will better work with 1080p. The Optoma is 1080i. I am not a videophile and don't need perfection that comes with an expensive high end pj.

Under $1,000 would be nice, but could go as high as $1500.

Your help appreciated.

Go with the epson home cinema 8100. I just bought it as my first projector and I am very pleased...great unit for the money.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Agree...after months of pro and user reviews the pj to purchase in your price range is the Eps8100 or Mits3800. Both have had their issues and both have different installation abilities. The 8100 being lcd is far more flexible concerning placement and has a higher lumen output in brightest mode for ambient light situations. In a dark room you or I would be satisfied with either. You have a budget...now think about where it's going, what you mainly view/do with it, is room dark or some light, etc. This will help you decide. Personally, You can't go wrong w/ the 8100. I love mine.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Might want to take a look at the Viewsonic Pro8100 as well. I looked at quite a few projectors over the last couple of months and found the Viewsonic an unbelievable bang for the buck. Read through the thread on the $3000 and up forum; a few have sold their Epson 8100's for the VS.

It also gives you a 3yr warranty, the first year express exchange, 1yr (or 1000hrs on the bulb) and a 5000hr bulb life (on eco mode).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. Also looking at a Mitsubishi HC3800. Any ideas on comparison? To answer an earlier post, I do have a completely controllable lighting for my HT. I can make it completely dark if needed.

I see posts on LCD vs DLP. I like the idea of a long lamp life in the LCD. I have read that the LED can last a LOT longer than the DLP.

Mitsubishi HC3800 - does not appear to have lens shift. This could be a deal breaker because I use a ceiling mount on a ten foot ceiling. I certainly need a keyhole adjustment. Review by Projector People says this. Did I mistake something?
http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Mits...or-Review.html

Leaving

Epson 8100

Viewpoint Pro8100

I am wondering if there really is much difference in pictures? Maybe I should look for one of these with an extra lamp or super long lamp life?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got the Viewsonic delivered.I orderd it from Tiger Direct on like monday at 3pm and was delivered by 5pm next day with the cheapest shipping the offered was really impressed by that alone.Just walked up stairs from hooking it up to my Ps3 for some testing to make sure it worked and what it looked like.Im shooting onto a Wilsonart laminate screen that i use for my Mits hd1000I just had it sitting on a chair the lens shift was extremely convient comeing from a dlp.I had it sitting about 14-15ft from screen,coffe table height,126in or so screen size,sitting about 12.5 ft.I was extremely impressed by the picture on this thing straight outta the box compared to the Mits.Checked out DarkNight (the seen in tokyo,freeway chase)Sin City (goldie) and random chapters of Ice Age 2 and Monsters vs Aliens(was extremely impressed with this movies PQ very 3d like and punch to it).Needs a firmware update most likely when u get it mine does, supposed to fix the iris issues in most of the reviews.Didnt even have a sound source hooked up as i was just testing the projector and seriously was watching for like 2hrs i just couldn't stop watching lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_mehra20 /forum/post/18182156

If someone is interested in Viewsonic Pro8100, Provantage is selling it for 1260 shipped. Seems like an awesome deal

They have it in stock right now? Thanks.About to check.

UPDATE: Not in stock. Darn.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have a buddy who works at a distributor. He can finagle me one of these brands.

JVC Professional

Optoma

Panasonic

Sharp

They do not carry Viewsonic, Mitsubishi or Epson.

So what here is recommended? I guess I could go into the $2,000 (MSRP) range, maybe a little more.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolygums /forum/post/18183026

Have a buddy who works at a distributor. He can finagle me one of these brands.

JVC Professional

Optoma

Panasonic

Sharp

They do not carry Viewsonic, Mitsubishi or Epson.

So what here is recommended? I guess I could go into the $2,000 (MSRP) range, maybe a little more.

If you can get a deal on the Panasonic AE4000U, go for it. It has a street price of 1999. If you can get something better than that then you have a great deal. Plus you will not regret AE4000U.

Will make you go wow!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
hmm wow I'm in the same situation and did not even come close to considering the Viewsonic, very interesting option !

I don't want to highjack your thread but from what I quickly read, the viewsonic had rather average reviews when it came out (with an MSRP of 5000$ ! 18 months ago!). According to Art, the biggest issue was the Iris action. Has this been fixed with a firmware, how bad is it ?

Prices are certainly very much appealing as it stands, much cheaper than other offerings (Mits) and same price as the Benq W1000. I'm a DLP guy but.. this is tempting !

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_mehra20 /forum/post/18183282

If you can get a deal on the Panasonic AE4000U, go for it. It has a street price of 1999. If you can get something better than that then you have a great deal. Plus you will not regret AE4000U.

Will make you go wow!!!

This sounds great. I think this is the one for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_mehra20 /forum/post/18182828

Very much in stock!

http://www.provantage.com/viewsonic-...0~7VIE903A.htm

And JanR has it for 1200, free shipping plus 5% bing cash back if you go through bing.com

http://www.jr.com/viewsonic/pe/VIW_PRO8100/

Ouch,I pulled the trigger too quick on the pro8100 through amazon instead of J&R's website directly. It was still 1200 shipped but i wish i had known about the 5% cash back through bing. I was kind of desperate since the pro8100 has been out of stock just about every where at a decent price recently.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astralmind /forum/post/18183392

hmm wow I'm in the same situation and did not even come close to considering the Viewsonic, very interesting option !

I don't want to highjack your thread but from what I quickly read, the viewsonic had rather average reviews when it came out (with an MSRP of 5000$ ! 18 months ago!). According to Art, the biggest issue was the Iris action. Has this been fixed with a firmware, how bad is it ?

Prices are certainly very much appealing as it stands, much cheaper than other offerings (Mits) and same price as the Benq W1000. I'm a DLP guy but.. this is tempting !

The iris issue on the pro8100 has been fixed with a recent firmware update.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Damn! Looks like the only PJ this wholesale copmany has is an Optoma HD 2200. I can't find any reviews that don't seem to be from Optoma.

However, I can get the Optoma HD 2200 for $1200. Can I convince myself to lay out an additional $800 for the Panasonic PT-AE4000U? The dealer does not carry Panasonic PJs.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogard /forum/post/18183696

Ouch,I pulled the trigger too quick on the pro8100 through amazon instead of J&R's website directly. It was still 1200 shipped but i wish i had known about the 5% cash back through bing. I was kind of desperate since the pro8100 has been out of stock just about every where at a decent price recently.

I know
Has happened to me more times than I can remember
But 1200 is still a great deal

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolygums /forum/post/18185813

Damn! Looks like the only PJ this wholesale copmany has is an Optoma HD 2200. I can't find any reviews that don't seem to be from Optoma.

However, I can get the Optoma HD 2200 for $1200. Can I convince myself to lay out an additional $800 for the Panasonic PT-AE4000U? The dealer does not carry Panasonic PJs.

Epson 8100 is a decent choice too and at 1499 its right up your alley

Unless, you are bent upon getting a DLP itself. Also with DLP your projector placement distance and height will be limited. Just an FYI...

3 LCD PJs like Panny AE4000U and Epson 8100 will give you great placement flexibility

1 - 20 of 41 Posts