AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I know it's subjective and a lot of people have their biases but I'd really appreciate some help. I'm looking for a new pre-amp and some things I don't have now that I'd like are... Audyssey or other room EQ, XLR outputs on all channels including sub, multi room for playing music in the garage and/or back patio.

I currently have an Adcom GTP-870HD which is a good pre-amp but it doesn't have any room correction, nor does it have XLR for the sub-channel.

My current great room home theater setup are Bowers and Wilkins CDM-9NT fronts, CDM-CNT center and CDM-1NT surrouds powered off an Adcom GFA-7805 (300 watts per channel). My screen is a mitsubishi dlp 65 incher that's getting replaced soon with a 75" unit. I'm pretty much in the middle of a wholesale change out.

I just got my Seaton Sounds Submersive HP+ 2 days ago and the Seaton Sounds Cat8's are on order and about 3 weeks out from delivery. I'm 80+ % home theater tv watching and the rest music.

So I've spent many hours looking and it seems like the Marantz 8801 is a very strong contender. Are there other units in the price range that I should consider for my 5.1 setup and what are some of the pro's and con's? The price range of the Marantz is about right for my taste.

Thanks for any help you can provide and thank you for your time.

Chris...

·
The Village Idiot
9,687 Posts
Why do you need XLR output connections? Most external amps that have the XLR inputs also accept RCA inputs. The only good argument for XLR inputs/outputs is in a noisy environment - and for runs longer than 15-20'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well on my current setup it's 5 XLR outputs from the Adcom GTP-870HD to the Adcom GFA-7805. My new speakers (The Seaton Sounds) have an XLR input only on the amps (self powered speakers) and Mark does include an XLR to RCA adapter so you can hook them up without the adapter but it just seems like if it's a little better why not use it? But you can imagine how long the cables might be to each surround speaker the sub woofer.

Chris...

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
Stick with XLR - especially with the Seaton Sound active powered speakers. RCAs may introduce minimal noise, and XLR should be nearly completely silent. I couldn't get the buzz to go away on my Sherbourn 7-350 with several different attempts at various RCA cables - each made different levels of slight buzzing, but the XLR are silent outside of a couple inches from the compression driver to my ear. Those speakerpower amplifiers that Seaton and JTR use occassionally have a tiny amount of buzz to them as well, that should be mitigated by XLR cable use.

I bought a Sherbourn 7-350 amplifier lately and it has a fixed gain structure. I've heard that amp on a couple different AVRs and all have a bit of buzzing through RCA out through a couple different receivers - two Denon 4311 and a Onkyo TX-NR1007, but are near dead silent on XLR.

Here is a post I made earlier today on the subject, including why I chose to buy a second hand Onkyo PR-SC5508 pre-amp......post 15435
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/15420#post_24288514

·
Registered
91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea  /t/1515025/want-help-deciding-on-a-new-pre-amp-marantz-8801-etc#post_24289430

Stick with XLR - especially with the Seaton Sound active powered speakers. RCAs may introduce minimal noise, and XLR should be nearly completely silent. I couldn't get the buzz to go away on my Sherbourn 7-350 with several different attempts at various RCA cables - each made different levels of slight buzzing, but the XLR are silent outside of a couple inches from the compression driver to my ear. Those speakerpower amplifiers that Seaton and JTR use occassionally have a tiny amount of buzz to them as well, that should be mitigated by XLR cable use.

Mixing grounded (3 blade plug) and ungrounded (2 blade plug) equipment can have noise problems. I address the causes and solutions in depth on my web site. http://www.speakerpower.net/documents.html

Here is the short version:

1. Ground the ungrounded preamp. XLR cables do this with a separate path for the ground currents from the signal.

2. Decouple anything that can pollute the ground. Cable TV is the usual offender. A CATV isolator is the solution.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Interesting....

So I can use an XLR to RCA cable to connect my sub (which does not have balanced connection) to my Marantz AV8801 pre? So RCA (sub) to XLR (AV8801), I did not realize you could do this, or am I reading this wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerPower  /t/1515025/want-help-deciding-on-a-new-pre-amp-marantz-8801-etc#post_24289940

Mixing grounded (3 blade plug) and ungrounded (2 blade plug) equipment can have noise problems. I address the causes and solutions in depth on my web site. http://www.speakerpower.net/documents.html

Here is the short version:

1. Ground the ungrounded preamp. XLR cables do this with a separate path for the ground currents from the signal.

2. Decouple anything that can pollute the ground. Cable TV is the usual offender. A CATV isolator is the solution.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gotcha, makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea  /t/1515025/want-help-deciding-on-a-new-pre-amp-marantz-8801-etc#post_24291894

lazzz,

Your Marantz 8801 has RCA subwoofer outs too - so you'll gain no advantage of going with XLR out on the pre-amp to RCA in on the subwoofer. When you convert a XLR to RCA you lose the benefit of XLR because RCA isn't balanced and so it really doesn't matter.

But if you'd rather have the XLR to RCA cable - you can buy one for less than 10 bucks.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150902&p_id=4779&seq=1&format=2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts