AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the software player matter when playing cd's? It seems thay when I first set up my HTPC it sounded better. It seems muffled to me now and I don't remember using windows media player.

I have a great sound system. Marantz, Klipsch and I'm using an M-Audio Delta Dio 2496. The HTPC is new with all top notch components.

I've never used Winamp, but my guess is as long as the signal is going through the M-Audio, the software should not matter. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
The player does matter if using software decode.

Are you passing a digital PCM signal to your receiver or are you decoding to analog out? If analog out the software does matter.

Why not winamp? It's the most popular, and has better sound than windows media player in software decode imho.

(I have to admit I am a little out of the loop these days, so there is probably better software now, but windows media player should not be on anyones list.)

Troy

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
Hey Brad, as long as your just doing digital pass-thru and have a good sound card (as you do) then I don't think it's the PC.

There *are* some controls in the MAudio control panel applet that you might want to look at though.

Cary

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, any input on what software player to use? I hear a lot about Winamp. The software is just for organization, right?

Brad

·
Registered
209 Posts
if your talking about decoders for MP3s, then yes winamp comes with the reference fraunhoffer decoder, your not gonna find anything better. for cd-audio, im pretty sure that the audio stream goes straight to the soundcard, winamp is just controlling the process.

IMHO winamp is the best player/organizer there is, just make sure you avoid version 3, stick with the older 2.91. its index and search functions are the frosting on the cake.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One thing that will effect sound quality is the type of output used. I'd recommend using either kernel streaming or ASIO output to avoid potential issues with Windows KMixer (it changes the output stream currently). Winamp 2.91 has plugins that provide these output options, Foobar2000 has kernel streaming built in (and is probably the best option if you are going to do any signal processing, like room correction)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
milester,

Could you please explain these setting in Wimamp? I use 2.91 with a digital tosh output to my Denon receiver. Thanks.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.