AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anobody have or know anything about these sets?

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Same here,

I thought the fact that it had a Faroudja deinterlacer in it would make it good, but it was Blahh...

You can search in my postings from last year, I was quite excited about the Zenith/LG displays until I actually saw one...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I agree; search the posts from CES 2002 for more details. The Zeniths have very poor contrast ratio (under 200:1) and even with the onboard Sage chip, just don't have the punch or quality of other panels. These are really at the bottom of the picture quality heap, to be honest.

Cheers

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think Home Theater mag did a review on the 61 inch Zenith about 4-6 months ago and while not coming right out and saying it, I thought I detected a definite disappointment in the reviewers tone about the pq.

Pat

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hoogbest,

Were you considering buying a Zenith or was this just curiosity?

·
Registered
860 Posts
You can get those online for just over $10K now. However, while the thought of a 60" makes my heart sing, no TV with crappy PQ is worth that kind of scratch.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The NEC 61 can be had online for 15k or so; and the PQ is significantly better.

Honestly, the PQ on the Zenith is so poor that you'd be happier, in my judgment, spending your money on a good 50 inch plasma and a good scaler, and blowing the balance in Vegas. Way happier.

Cheers

·
Registered
33,556 Posts
Interestingly the current issue of The Perfect Vision ranks the 60" Zenith plasma (DPDP60W) as a "recommended" product with a Class 2 rating. This means that it is a product that "still offers excellent performance, but is a step down from the ultimate....". I saw a 60" Zenith (or 61"?) in Florida several months ago and was not impressed, BUT I saw a 60" (probably the same model quoted here) at the N.Y. Home Theater show last month and was quite impressed. I'm not sure if this is a new model or the same model I saw in Florida. Whatever it was (new model, different setup, whatever) it looked FAR better in N.Y. I can't recall how the blacks looked. From what I saw in N.Y., at $15,000 or less, this might be a nice buy.

·
Registered
33,556 Posts
Rich,

I guess that does mean the model I saw in Florida was indeed different than what I saw in N.Y. The unit in N.Y. was indeed impressive and a bargain at the price drop quoted. This may be a real sleeper with the beautiful PQ I saw.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Thanks for the link; that does appear to be a new panel from LG/Zenith. The last version sure wasn't worth any electronic ink. It's not clear from the release if the new version is shipping, nor are the various connections (e.g., DVI) specified. But it's very interesting, especially the new, lower MSRP.

Cheers

·
Registered
950 Posts
This isn't clear: "Announced earlier this year at a suggested price of $20,000, the 60-inch PDP model P60W26 is now available at a suggested price of $14,999." ;)

It has been available for a couple months.

Robert

·
Registered
45 Posts
About 1-2 miles east of Rt. 110 on the south side of Jericho

(Rt. 25). www.aviainc.com

BTW sights n sounds has a piano 3100 pj but set up poorly i felt. They are on the west side of 110 about the same 1-2 miles.

·
Registered
33,556 Posts
bushpilot,

Thanks for the info. I'll try to drop by sometime this week and take another look at the Zenith. Did they have other plasmas on display there?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.