AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a Yamaha HTR 6060 which I think is great in every way except that it cannot play DD+ (dolby digital plus), which is the surround sound format used by Netflix. I'm tired of watching netflix in stereo with my nice surround sound system.

So the HTR 6060 is 105w per channel, 7.1, and a pretty good quality receiver. I would like something to replace it that I won't miss any features/quality but gives me the latest processing capabilities (DD+, etc). I also want something on the lowest price scale you can recommend that will give me similar audio. Hopefully I'll be able to snatch one up on boxing day for a decent price.

I'm not an audiophile at all, I just like good sound. My speakers include Boston Acoustics CR75 (front), CR65 (rear), RS244C (center), & Soundstage 200 powered sub. Someday I'll get 2 speakers to match the RS244C so I'll have a good 7.1

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add that I will be buying a 4K TV, so I think 4K passthrough is important.

Hoping for some advice. I couldn't find RMS wattage (for all 7 channels) on units like Yamaha RXV577 so I don't know how it compares to the HTR 6060.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
You also forgot to give us your budget. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$500 CAD so I'm definitely shooting for a boxing day sale.

If a receiver (not on sale but could go on sale in the future for around $500) is highly recommended over another unit that is on sale for around $500, then I could be patient to wait for the better unit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
me too??

I am trying to choose a replacement avr and I have become wary of the Denons & Onkyos I see on these posts. I have been looking at the Denon x2100w, a Pioneer Elite, Onkyo and maybe Sony ES.

Reliable ( my Denon avr 3300 is 16 years old 5.1 & 6 ch analog inputs). Use with Sony r550a smart tv & a new univ blu ray (oppo) which I intend to buy soon. Future need will be to retire jukeboxes and add NAS. I will maintain 5.1 for now. Room eq is not important - I use an spl meter for channel levels.

These lock ups and failures scare me and I am just looking for reliability.

Thx guys

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the Yamaha RXV 577. Very good price. It's working well. I'm not good enough at telling the difference in quality compared to my HTR 6060. Visions guys lead me to believe that since I didn't need "powered B speakers" then the 577 is the same thing as the 677. I hope that is true. Anyone think I didn't get a high enough end receiver?

Also, I can't get ARC to work from my TV to the receiver. The TV has HDMI 2 clearly labelled as ARC and it's easy to choose that on the TV menu, but choosing the correct HDMI channel on the yamaha does not result in any audio. Maybe the yamaha 577 doesn't support ARC as input? Seems odd that the receiver would even have to differentiate between source and ARC input.

It works to have source going to receiver and pass-through to TV but I think to get 4K from netflix I might have to use the TV's netflix rather than chromecast. I think chromecast is only 1080p capable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat, I have an older onkyo 7.1 receiver which has gone bad, and need a cheapish replacement. I was looking at the Onkyo TX-NR636 but I've heard bad things about onkyo recently, heat issues and HDMI stuff specifically so I think I'll avoid them. Thoughts on the Pioneer VSX-1124-K and Sony STRDH750? Both are $350 at best buy right now. The Pioneer has more HDMI inputs, a front HDMI and is 1155W vs the Sony 1015W so I'm leaning towards that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got ARC working. It's a bit weird to setup on the receiver but once I got it setup correct then it became simple to switch between sources connected to the receiver and the TV as the audio source (ARC). One HDMI cable between TV's ARC input (HDMI 2) and the receiver's HDMI OUT. Then, once you have ARC configured on the receiver, you choose AV4 on the remote when you want the TV to be the audio source. When you want to use a video/audio source connected to an HDMI INPUT on the receiver, just choose that HDMI port and then the OUTPUT HDMI will function as OUT and TV will choose that as input. It's quick and easy to switch around.

This was the best clue to configuring ARC on the Yamaha:

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v667/4722/5899

It was slightly different but pretty close to that, it should lead you in the right direction if you face the same problem I had.

Now I just have to figure out why I don't have UHD on Netflix (probably cuz I'm using wifi and need to use ethernet).

Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts