AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some time I've wanted a TV stand that can hold my equipment plus a Rocket RSC200 Center Channel. All of the stands out there that fit the bill are well beyond what the wife will sign off on. So I am thinking of trying my hand at building my own stand.

My woodworking background is limited, but I am a quick study and willing to take my time and life with a simple (as long as it looks nice) design.

I was thinking of starting out building a small stand for my office to hold my turntable and amp and seeing how that goes before embarking on a more ambitious project (ie a stand for my living room).

Sometimes I get it in my head that I can do something even if it's crazy in reality. So my question is; am I crazy thinking I can build a basic stand as my first real wood working project?

Thanks.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Not crazy at all. Try to build the turntable stand, then check out this thread, if you haven't already, for ideas on TV stands.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=stand

I'd also like to eventually build a custom TV stand for the larger TV and center channel I'd like to get as upgrades to my current system. It just seems that the prefabbed units out there don't fit the bill and custom built would be the way to go.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I dont think you are crazy... assuming you have the tools and know-how, you will save yourself a LOT of money.

I built mine (about 2 years ago)....

The upper center section is actually perfect size for DVD cases, but the wife didnt like the idea of having it full of DVDs - thinking friends and family will see the collection we have and want to barrow all the time, and struggle to keep track of getting them back.

Anyhow, because the depth of the DVDs is much less than the stand is, the "back" of the DVD section is faux and can be removed to gain access to a hidden compartment which I use to house my surge protector. Maybe one day I will get pics of this as well.

This stand is approx 72" overall - pre-made cabinets that I liked that were around this size started around $800... I built this one for around $150 with all materials

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
DMW16 I made my cabinet out of oak plywood and oak. If you take your time and create a good plan with the measurements that you want and follow it you should be good to go. My motivation was my wife telling me that we can get a Plasma when we get a stand that didn't cost too much and met our systems needs. Here is the one that i made.

drvnbysound you cabinet is great. I really like the design!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.