AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I want to replace my VCR and DVD player and get a dvd recorder/VHS deck. I need to be able to control it to record via my Samsung SIR-TS360 HDTV receiver. BTW, how would I be able to tell if my samsung receiver can control the dvd recorder? I was looking at this , but it says something about not having IR blaster. Does that mean I probably won't be able to use my receiver to control it? Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
It means the DVD Recorder can't control your HDTV Receiver. The IR Blaster sends. not receives.

It's possible that the HDTV receiver could control the DVD Recorder if it can send out the correct IR signal, the same one that the DVDs remote sends.

Andy...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there anyway of finding out? I honestly don't want it if I can't use my sattelite receiver to control it.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psy44
Is there anyway of finding out? I honestly don't want it if I can't use my sattelite receiver to control it.

I don't quite understand your line of thought. It can control itself, it doesn't need any outside control. Just use timers to coincide with whatever you want to record. Is there some additional reason I am missing here?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok on my HDTV receiver I can control my VCR by going to my guide and clicking one program and everything is setup to record. I don't have to schedule anything with my vcr and it automatically turns on my vcr when I want to record and turns it off when its done. I want to know if I would be able to tell if my receiver is compatible with this dvd recorder I want to buy so I can have the same function.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
How does your HDTV receiver control your VCR - is it through an IR blaster? If so, you'll probably have no problem with a DVD recorder. It seems that most of the DVD recorders will accept remote IR signals equivalent to the same brand of VCR. For example, I understand that the Pioneer DVD recorders accept the same IR "record" and "stop" signals as Pioneer VCRs. So what you need to do is to check the manual for your HDTV receiver to see which brands of VCRs it can control (note - probably not a good idea to get the same brand DVD recorder as your existing VCR unless you plan to scrap the VCR - otherwise you'll have conflicts over which device is being controlled).

But note that you'll have to leave the DVD recorder turned on in order for this to work. Watch out for DVD recorders that shut themselves off if not active for a certain amount of time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.