AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I need the help of experts. I want to buy a large flat-screen TV that will provide a great gaming experience with our xbox 360. We have an xbox without HDMI output. If this is not the right forum or you have recommendations for other sites that would help answer my questions, please let me know.

1. Is it true that you need to avoid plasma if you will do a lot of gaming?

2. Do we need 1080P resolution, or will the difference not be noticeable? Does it depend on the screen size?

3. Are there other factors besides resolution that we need to consider?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok, I'm not an expert, however I just went through the purchase process myself.

If you'll be doing a lot of gaming, get an LCD..basically, if you get a new plasma and game with it, for some reason or other, it burns the image from the games into the plasma...thats what the future shop salesman told me...so get LCD...look for a TV with the lowest millisecond response time as possible. If you don't have the XBOX360 elite, don't worry about getting a TV with 1080p...save your money and buy a 1080i...with the extra money, buy the XBOX HD DVD player...its an awesome addition to the XBOX family. ummm besides that, you should be alright. But remember...I'm not an expert!

·
Registered
959 Posts
I too am no expert but just bought a new TV with plans to play Xbox on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdiva /forum/post/12967317

No. You just need to be smart about it. Do what they recommend with the contrast settings and whatnot when you first buy it, don't leave it on pause with a menu or HUD on screen for hours at a time, etc. I've only had my plasma (a 50" Panasonic) for a couple of weeks, but I started using my 360 the day I got it and haven't had a hint of IR.

I'd argue that plasma's superior handling of fast motion makes them better for gaming.
Quote:

2. Do we need 1080P resolution, or will the difference not be noticeable? Does it depend on the screen size?

720p will look great, especially if you're upgrading from a regular TV. It does depend on screen size, how far away you'll be sitting, and what sort of stuff you'll be watching on it.

The 360 can output in 1080p via HDMI, but most games are rendered in 720p (or less even, the fabulous looking COD4 is only 600p!) so it's just a matter of scaling.
Quote:

Overall picture quality, cost vs. your budget, proper size, your viewing environment, "gaming lag", etc. A 1080p Westinghouse LCD isn't better than a 720p Panasonic/Samsung/Pioneer plasma. Some people with some TVs report that things happen on screen a split second after they hit buttons and whatnot. This doesn't happen at all on my Panasonic and I'm not sure what would cause it, but it'd be worth a search when you've narrowed down to a few specific models.

jeff

·
Registered
480 Posts
Budget is he thing. If you've got the money I'd go with a nice new 1080p Sony Bravia XBR LCD.

DLP's look like they are going the way of the dinosaurs though so you can get a much better price per inch on them and get about the same image quality.

I believe DLP's have the fastest response time. I think a plasma would be OK if you got a newer model (aka more expensive).

Size is the thing. 1080p is about all that is left in the 50"+ category. All the 720p's seem to be in the clearance section of the electronic stores (not Walmart and similar retailers).

The Sony KDS-50A3000, 55A3000, and 60A3000 have been really good deals lately but are disappearing quickly.

·
Registered
308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbzzz /forum/post/12980607

Ok, I'm not an expert, however I just went through the purchase process myself.

If you'll be doing a lot of gaming, get an LCD..basically, if you get a new plasma and game with it, for some reason or other, it burns the image from the games into the plasma...thats what the future shop salesman told me...so get LCD...look for a TV with the lowest millisecond response time as possible. If you don't have the XBOX360 elite, don't worry about getting a TV with 1080p...save your money and buy a 1080i...with the extra money, buy the XBOX HD DVD player...its an awesome addition to the XBOX family. ummm besides that, you should be alright. But remember...I'm not an expert!

I'm playing on a plasma and don't have any of these issues. The Panasonic plasma's look awesome.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My suggestions...

LCD: I use an LCD model from last year and I don't have any motion blur (some people see it on some models) but I wish the black levels were better.

Samsung 40, 46, or 52 inch 71 series (higher cost, awesome TV for all around use)

Samsung 40, 46, or 52 inch 61 series (lower cost, great overall, black levels not as good as 71 or XBR but decent)

Sony 40, 46, or 52 inch XBR4 series (higher cost, similar to Samsung xx71, great looking)

Plasma: You might get IR but permanent burn-in is less likely with these models. Motion blur and response time are good. Black levels are excellent.

Pioneer 4280 or 5080 (somewhat higher cost but not bad, amazing picture and black levels)

Panasonic 42 or 50 inch 720p models (low cost, good performance, good black levels, great for all around use)

Panasonic 42 or 50 inch 1080p models (higher cost, good-great performance, good-great black levels, great for all around use)

Samsung 42 or 50 inch 720p and 1080p models (pretty much the same as Panasonic but you might pay more or less for either brand)

Rear Projection: This is the best bang for your buck for size and performance but they are thicker/deeper than flat panels, can't be hung on a wall, the bulbs need replacing (hours vary by model), and the viewing angles are more narrow in horizontal and vertical planes.

Sony 55 or 60 inch A3000 series (these are getting harder to find since they were discontinued but are among the best performing RPTVs out there for the money)

Samsung 50, 56, or 61 inch 76 or 87 series (great 1080p DLP sets)

Samsung 50?, 56 or 61 inch 89 series (great 1080p DLP sets using LED backlight)

These are just based on reviews and my personal opinion from seeing and using these sets. Things to keep in mind when purchasing are the price you're willing to spend, size requirements/space limitations, performance desires, media types (DVD, SDTV, HDTV, game console, etc), time you will spend using the TV, input types/amounts needed such as HMDI (an AVR or switch can eliminate this requirement for a TV), and there are other things like the wife approval factor (if applicable). Don't settle for a smaller set if you think that later you will regret not getting the bigger TV.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is exactly the sort of information I was looking for. Printing this out for future reference. The "wife approval" factor made me smile. I am the wife. We are in the budget planning stages right now so a lot is up in the air. Like most men, my husband wants something just a little bigger and better than what his friends have.
I am literally planning to measure his friend's TV so we can get one that's the same or bigger. I want to understand the technical details so that we know how to buy something that will not break in a year and will do what we want it to, but without spending any more than we have to to. Mainly I want this product to have a good cost-to-product life ratio. My husband already leaves the xbox on overnight despite me explaining over and over that overheating causes the red ring of death, so I think I cannot trust him to do the things necessary to prevent burn-in with a plasma. Which sucks because I think the black levels and response time might make it the better gaming option.

·
Registered
747 Posts

I went through the process of upgrading my old 27" CRT to to an HD setup pretty recently, which has led to me playing more games than I used to (the step up to HD for the 360 continually blows my mind). A lot of these questions depend on your situation and what is important to you.

1. The issue with Plasma is potential burn in. If this is an issue is going to depend on what types of games you play and for how long. I imagine if you tend to leave your game on pause and do some house work you could have some burn in problems. Also, if you tend to play a lot of racing games or other games with static HUDs for long periods of time without breaks then this could also lead to some burn in. In general though the response time of a plasma is going to be better than LCD.

2. This completely depends on screen size and your viewing distance. For example my room is about 15' wide and I sit maybe 10-12' away from my TV when playing (potentially closer if playing with more people or drums on rock band) and my TV is 60". In my case you can tell the difference between 1080p and 1080i. The other advantage of a 1080p TV is that it will deinterlace 1080i content and you should have a good 1080p picture even if you are viewing 1080i content (not an issue for gaming but I'm assuming you will do other things with the set as well).

3. For gaming a big factor is the lag time and motion blur. Good LCDs have improved this a lot, but if you are looking at budget LCDs this can be a problem. RP sets are pretty good especially the newer 120Hz sets many of which have gaming modes. Top of the line plasmas like the Pioneer Kuro Elite are still the bench marks for fast motion but the cost per inch is very high.

My personal opinion is I would think about what is important to you and what your budget is. Then based on that pick a technology (Plasma, LCD, RP, Front Projection). Then after that chose a model.

For me it probably went like this: Spend less than 2.5k (back in September crazy RP sets have gotten so much cheaper now I could get the same set for 1.8K), get the most bang for the buck in terms of size, I wanted 1080P, after I saw it I wanted a set that properly handled 24FPS with 120Hz and could reverse 3:2 film content, ~60" if possible, I was going to be doing a medium amount of gaming on it but also watch a good amount of movies.

For me that narrowed it down to RP sets pretty much right away. At first I looked at the new Mitsubishi TVs and was set on the WD65-833 but after reading about the Sony sets I decided to go with the KDS-60A3000 and I'm glad I did. If I were looking now I'd also have looked at the Samsungs, but I still think I would have gone with the Sony in the end assuming I could still find it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well you mentioned that your looking for a large flat screen tv so I'm assuming it's LCD or Plasma. If you are going to onlygame on the set then you need an LCD. If you are using the TV for gaming, watching DVD's/Blue-Ray/HD, cable, etc.. then you might want a Plasma for it's better response time. Yes, 1080p resolution sets do make a difference (as mentioned above). What size are you looking for and what is your budget?

·
Registered
1 Posts
haha,may be something others

1 - 12 of 12 Posts