AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I want to get our fireplace converted to gas, but I am concerned about heat, and the proximity to my Panny Plasma and Yamaha YSP Soundbar. Below is a picture. Would it be OK heat wise?

Thx!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm guessing that this is a real wood-burning fireplace and you want to convert it to the gas-log type? The fireplace in my house has logs behind a glass window. The gas-logs don't put out a lot of heat. They look nice but aren't very hot. You also might be considering installing gas logs but in a configuration that is open to the room with no glass. My parents have a fireplace like this and again it doesn't get very hot. The stores that sell these conversions can probably give you better advice; but I think the equipment will be fine in the location you have it in.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I don't think the HEAT is as much of a problem as the screen height. I mean it'll be pretty high without the Soundbar, but with it, it's even worse. Having the Soundbar above to lower the screen wouldn't be good for your audio either. I'd cut out some Cardboard Templates and place them where you would want to put that stuff, and then Sit down and look and see if that's really going to work, especially after a couple hours looking up at the screen, how your Neck, or back will be.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDragon /forum/post/16985384

I don't think the HEAT is as much of a problem as the screen height. I mean it'll be pretty high without the Soundbar, but with it, it's even worse. Having the Soundbar above to lower the screen wouldn't be good for your audio either. I'd cut out some Cardboard Templates and place them where you would want to put that stuff, and then Sit down and look and see if that's really going to work, especially after a couple hours looking up at the screen, how your Neck, or back will be.

Thx- but nothing

is

being moved. Just glass where the hearth is and then

it will be gas/ electric.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou /forum/post/16981983

Hi there,

I want to get our fireplace converted to gas, but I am concerned about heat, and the proximity to my Panny Plasma and Yamaha YSP Soundbar....Would it be OK heat wise?

If the heat from the real logs has been ok on that old TV for the past 3 years, i don't see why converting it to gas would be any worse.

When mounting a Panasonic Plasma *above* a fireplace, Panasonic states a maximum allowable temperature of 104F in the area that the TV will be located.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/16986786

When mounting a Panasonic Plasma *above* a fireplace, Panasonic states a maximum allowable temperature of 104F in the area that the TV will be located.

My grandparents keep a cheapo meat thermometer on their mantle to make sure that the temperature is not obviously too high for their above-mantle (non-Panasonic) plasma.

Make sure you get the remote-controlled gas logs also. Very convenient!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.