AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I currently have Xfinity's X1 system running on two TVs. Nice service, but it costs over $200 per month. If I switch to a cable card and get rid of the boxes, my service would drop to about $100 per month. I also have Plex Media Server running on my Hackintosh (Core i5-3570k, 8 GB ram, 12 TB storage) to stream movies to both of my Samsung Smart TVs. And I have an old Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe tuner card and a Ceton Echo that the X1 boxes replaced.

I say I am needy because I want to be able to watch live tv and recorded shows, regardless of copy flag, on either of my TVs (living room, master bedroom) AND integrate Plex and Amazon Prime into the live tv interface/software. I am fine running separate Plex and Amazon clients on a single OS. I just don't want to have to switch to the TV (Smart Hub) for some content then back to the PC/extender for live tv. With the demise of WMC, what else can accomplish this? Is Emby an acceptable replacement? What else is out there in the media center space that supports cable card live tv and streaming services?

·
Registered
360 Posts
WMC isn't dead, it's just not in Windows 10. It's still working just fine on 7 and 8.

HDHomerun DVR is promising, but it's not there yet.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Your needs are going to leave you with at least two boxes. Just use a properly programmed universal remote and the switching will be painless.

The only other option that would do 100% of what you are asking is a TiVo. It has TV, DVR, Amazon, and Plex (and more services). You would add TiVo Minis to the secondary locations.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Xbox 360s with WMC7 or 8 also do what you want including Amazon and Plex

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Xbox 360s with WMC7 or 8 also do what you want including Amazon and Plex

Amazon on WMC? All I've seen for that are hacks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Amazon on WMC? All I've seen for that are hacks.
Xbox 360 has Amazon prime app and Netflix app. Will need WMC7 or 8 to use extender capabilities and dvr

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Xbox 360 has Amazon prime app and Netflix app. Will need WMC7 or 8 to use extender capabilities and dvr

Right. So you can't use a HTPC to do both.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Right. So you can't use a HTPC to do both.
OPs original request was to do it all with one box - not necessarily a PC. What he was trying to do was eliminate using more than one box. The way I use WMC7 is to have a PC somewhere on my network then multiple Xbox 360s at each TV. Because the PC never had anything by Netflix streaming native, the only other way to get streaming was either Smart TV, Roku (or other streaming box) which meant switching inputs and/or another box. I switched to 360s because it was the only combo streaming box and WMC extender - since we all remember the face-plant that happened with Ceton and the Echo. I tried Relaunch on the PC which was okay to get Amazon and Netflix started but it was awkward to use (no remote support - just keyboard) and then getting back to WMC after leaving the web page was always weird. 360 is the most remote friendly combination of WMC & Streaming capability in a single box.

·
Registered
199 Posts
deleted double post

1 - 10 of 10 Posts