AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been around speakers for long time and mastered many other hobbies, but I think this time I seriously want to build at least a front floorstanding stereo pair for first time...what is a good reference book. I don't mind math too much, before I got my Biology bachelors I took 2 plus years of mechanical engineering classes and went up to calc III...so I don't need a dummies or mathless/non scientific guide as so much as just want most comprehensive book.

Was looking at Introduction to Loudspeaker Design: Second Edition by John Murphy, but very few other books popup. So besides here for advice, what would you guys recommend as a good starting point for this fun journey?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I have and have read both 201 and Intro to Loudspeaker Design, and I'd say start with 201, but both have good information in them and you may well end up with both. If you had to only get one of them, 201 is more well rounded and will leave you in a better position to start designing a speaker. ILD covers a few things not in 201, which is why I'd say get both.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
just buy a mic and a minidsp and go to town, passive xo are too much of a pain to learn when amps are so cheap
He probably still would like to understand enclosures, distortion, bandwidths, slopes, phase summation, how to measure, and about a 100 other things that go into a XO whether passive or active. The only difference I can see between active and passive is impedance influence which is really quite a small part. So not sure how a mic and Minidsp really gets him there...

A book I'd recommend is Toole's 'Sound Reproduction' because knowing what makes good sound is the first step. But the other recommendations are also great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts