AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Run Cat5/6 to an outdoor RJ45 wall jack and then run that to a wireless outdoor AP. If you can get one that run off PoE that's even better so you don't have to run 110V to it as well.

E.g.: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833389057

I'd look at your local building codes to see if you need to run it in a conduit. Most likely. Just do it right so no one gets hurt. It's not that much more to get some PVC or metal conduit per code.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1526915/want-to-extend-my-wifi-to-back-yard-and-pool-area-how#post_24597083

The garage I'd house it in is detached from house and I already have a conduit to it under the patio

Seems like a no-brainer then. You could even take your current wireless router if you're looking to upgrade, put it out there as an AP and then get a new one for inside the house. I have an AP in my office that's just my old TrendNET router turned AP.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a spare crappy linksys router. The N-120 I think. It's nearly worthless crap but it might work ok for the yard. I won't care if I hit it with paint overspray or it gets covered in saw dust

I hate the router so much I am almost hesitant to use it, but since it's free I guess I could. But please no one ever try to use one, it's really quite crappy.

So my question is now how would I wire it up ? What settings ?

·
Registered
407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1526915/want-to-extend-my-wifi-to-back-yard-and-pool-area-how#post_24597272

I have a spare crappy linksys router. The N-120 I think. It's nearly worthless crap but it might work ok for the yard. I won't care if I hit it with paint overspray or it gets covered in saw dust

I hate the router so much I am almost hesitant to use it, but since it's free I guess I could. But please no one ever try to use one, it's really quite crappy.

So my question is now how would I wire it up ? What settings ?

You really shouldn't be trying to wire up/setup a router if you don't have a clue how to do it.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador  /t/1526915/want-to-extend-my-wifi-to-back-yard-and-pool-area-how/0_100#post_24597414

He has to learn somehow lol.

this.

I think I have a basic idea I am just wondering if there is anything different wiring up a second one as opposed to setting up the first which I have done many times. Should I make an entirely new network ID an all that and run a totally new network ? I need help game planning this, I generally hate networking and wifi it's totally the one area of PC's I dislike and avoid when I can.

·
Registered
407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador  /t/1526915/want-to-extend-my-wifi-to-back-yard-and-pool-area-how#post_24597414

He has to learn somehow lol.

Very true. But this is in reference to him being a total jackass to someone in the DIY forums saying they had no business buildng a sub if they couldn't cut a perfectly straight board.

Point is, he's a hypocrite and now he's started his spamming in DIY and the whole reason I left this HTPC forum is because i was tired of his lies and bullying people with his opinion. Hearing him tell everybody they were wrong for not buying Seagate. Shoving his oinion down everyone's throat in every HDD thread and his general egotistical attitude. Even caught him flat out lying about research data and saying something was a fact when reports shown otherwise. At least he admitted to it.

He conveniently edited out his comments after he got called on it.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1525181/best-glue-for-mdf-best-glue-for-diy-speakers-and-subs/60#post_24593126

People need to learn from their mistakes and educate themselves, but some people like to pass themselves off as know-it-all and holier than thou.

The mods let it slide, but it ruins the forums for myself and others who just want friendly help. Its a no nwin situation.

Now he's in the DIY forums with 5-6 idiotic post and saying **** like that. Whatever.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by likelinus  /t/1526915/want-to-extend-my-wifi-to-back-yard-and-pool-area-how/0_100#post_24597500

Very true. But this is in reference to him being a total jackass to someone in the DIY forums saying they had no business buildng a sub if they couldn't cut a perfectly straight board.

Point is, he's a hypocrite and now he's started his spamming in DIY and the whole reason I left this HTPC forum is because i was tired of his lies and bullying people with his opinion. Hearing him tell everybody they were wrong for not buying Seagate. Shoving his oinion down everyone's throat in every HDD thread and his general egotistical attitude. Even caught him flat out lying about research data and saying something was a fact when reports shown otherwise. At least he admitted to it.

He conveniently edited out his comments after he got called on it.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1525181/best-glue-for-mdf-best-glue-for-diy-speakers-and-subs/60#post_24593126

People need to learn from their mistakes and educate themselves, but some people like to pass themselves off as know-it-all and holier than thou.

The mods let it slide, but it ruins the forums for myself and others who just want friendly help. Its a no nwin situation.

Now he's in the DIY forums with 5-6 idiotic post and saying **** like that. Whatever.

Whoa!

First calm down. I sensed a bit of negativity in your first post but I let it slide. You can feel as you wish, but your totally wrong about my editing anything I never touched that thread or edited it and Mrkazador and I get along just fine, if you read my response to him it makes sense I think. Who can't cut a straight line ? I saw his build thread on his SEOS and his cuts looked good to me. I think you over reacted a bit here, or your reaching for something that just isn't there. I can only assume your problem is a personal one.

And I can't seem to understand how staring a thread and researching the best glue for a speaker or sub box is an idiot post ? I think you are alone in some ways.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have nothing more to say to you. Most people here know your tactics and I just think its pathetic.

Enjoy your evening. I said my peace.

·
Registered
666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1526915/want-to-extend-my-wifi-to-back-yard-and-pool-area-how#post_24597437

this.

I think I have a basic idea I am just wondering if there is anything different wiring up a second one as opposed to setting up the first which I have done many times. Should I make an entirely new network ID an all that and run a totally new network ? I need help game planning this, I generally hate networking and wifi it's totally the one area of PC's I dislike and avoid when I can.

I'm doing this with a netgear router, but it has an Acccess Point mode. I don't think the linksys 120n does. I didn't see anything about an AP mode in the manual.

It doesn't look like it will support a custom DD-WRT firmware flash, so unfortunately that won't be an option. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Linksys_.28a_devision_of_Belkin_-_formerly_Cisco.29

Try this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/38087-43-configure-linksys-router-wtr120n-access-point .

You'll basically disable any routing functions. You may be able to use the same network SSID, but it may be better to just use a new one like "back yard" or "garage". Note that you may need to connect to a LAN port on the 120n, and not the Internet or WAN port.

Be sure to do some additional reading to make sure you've got the security settings correct so you aren't opening up the whole network.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Get a Ubiquiti Unifi LR or two. They're cheap and awesome. Seamless roaming from AP to AP.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by likelinus  /t/1526915/want-to-extend-my-wifi-to-back-yard-and-pool-area-how/0_100#post_24597547

I have nothing more to say to you. Most people here know your tactics and I just think its pathetic.

Enjoy your evening. I said my peace.

You too. Have a cold one for me. I don't understand your intense grudge but I forgive you. I've noticed you've gone out of your way to make a few comments in the past as well and now it makes a little more sense to me. Sorry if I've offended you but I'd suggest that nothing good will come from taking it further. Accept my apology for whatever I've done to upset you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro  /t/1526915/want-to-extend-my-wifi-to-back-yard-and-pool-area-how/0_100#post_24597565

I'm doing this with a netgear router, but it has an Acccess Point mode. I don't think the linksys 120n does. I didn't see anything about an AP mode in the manual.

It doesn't look like it will support a custom DD-WRT firmware flash, so unfortunately that won't be an option. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Linksys_.28a_devision_of_Belkin_-_formerly_Cisco.29

Try this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/38087-43-configure-linksys-router-wtr120n-access-point .

You'll basically disable any routing functions. You may be able to use the same network SSID, but it may be better to just use a new one like "back yard" or "garage". Note that you may need to connect to a LAN port on the 120n, and not the Internet or WAN port.

Be sure to do some additional reading to make sure you've got the security settings correct so you aren't opening up the whole network.

It's a rural area, my parents have 5 acres. This is for their house. My yard is no where near big enough to need a second router, I wish it was. lol. But I spend a lot of time there and my dad does a lot of yard work- we will bring the kids over to use the pool etc.. My dad is always streaming pandora but using data- I put in a few pairs of outdoor speakers and a sub for him in the detached garage- It would be nice to just extend his existing comcast internet into the back yard and pool area.

I think a second SSID would be fine if it's easier. I just wonder if the iphone or ipad would automatically switch to the stronger signal when it loses signal ? Or would I have to manually switch it ? I guess I'll have to test and find out.

Edit: I saw andy's link so that might work too.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Turning a 2nd router into an AP is pretty straight forward.

Connect cat wire from LAN port on main router to WAN port on 2nd router.

Access web interface of main router (192.168.0.1 or 1.1 typically) and look for the assigned IP of 2nd router.

Access web interface of 2nd router using its assigned IP.  So instead of http://192.168.1.1 it will be something like http://192.168.1.45 (just an example. look for its assigned number)

Disable DHCP on 2nd router.

Been years since I played with Linksys. Quality went down since Cisco purchased the company.

I really like the asus routers now. Last few I bought, they have an easy setup. Once you plug a 2nd asus into first asus and log onto web interface, it asks if you want to setup as an AP and does all settings for you.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts