AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to send an analog stereo audio signal from the sound card on my PC (in the office) to my receiver (in the living room), which will require a 75-foot stereo RCA cable, since they are opposite sides of my basement.

The primary purpose of this connection is so that I can play mp3s on my PC and I can make it come out of the speakers in the living room (useful for parties, etc.).

I am using the integrated sound card on my Asus motherboard, and I plan to configure the 3.5mm outputs at the back so that two of them are line out - one to the PC speakers, and one to the receiver.

My concern is that sending a line signal over 75 feet of RCA cable (some in close proximity to 120V power cable) will introduce way too much noise, and I'll get a constant hum.

Any opinions on this?

The only other option I could think of was to buy a new sound card with Dolby Digital Live, and run Toslink from the PC to the receiver. However, I was hoping to avoid spending the extra cash for this.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
28 Posts
75ft is not too long, but you never know when problems will start. I've run 50ft with no problems, using 22awg Belden cable.

The easiest way is: go to monoprice.com and order a 75ft RCA "mid" grade cable and a 1/8" stereo to RCA female adapter. And if any AC cable needs to be near it, make the 2 cables cross at 90 degres.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys15 /forum/post/15543796

The easiest way is: go to monoprice.com and order a 75ft RCA "mid" grade cable and a 1/8" stereo to RCA female adapter.

The longest stereo RCA monoprice has is 50ft, but they do have a 75-ft 18AWG 3-RCA component video cable, so maybe I'll just use that cable and leave one of the 3 unused. I don't suppose I'd have any problems with this, but if so someone please let me know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
monoprice also has a 75-ft 1/4-inch stereo phono cable that's 16AWG. Would I be better off using that?

·
Registered
426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob263 /forum/post/15544024

The longest stereo RCA monoprice has is 50ft, but they do have a 75-ft 18AWG 3-RCA component video cable, so maybe I'll just use that cable and leave one of the 3 unused. I don't suppose I'd have any problems with this, but if so someone please let me know.

If you are going to spend $50 on a component cable, have you considered going the network route? Do you have wireless set up in your house? If so, I would explore the option of using a wireless media receiver hooked into your stereo receiver. It's an easy and clean hookup.

If you are only playing mp3s, there are a lot of options. I have only ever used the apple airport express, which does require you to use iTunes, but it worked flawlessly. I'm sure there are other options out there that allow you to use other media players.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob263 /forum/post/15543472

My concern is that sending a line signal over 75 feet of RCA cable (some in close proximity to 120V power cable) will introduce way too much noise, and I'll get a constant hum.

I think you're right on with that concern. Onboard audio solutions aren't exactly known for their excellent signal quality and grounding.

A media extender/receiver is a much better investment as not only will it give you music without running wires throughout your house, you can get video and other apps as well.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Why not use TosLink (optical SPDIF) -- should be fairly inexpensive and easy to run with no signal degradation, unless your receiver doesn't support it?

Never mind, I reread your post, but still, upgrading your PC plus the toslink cable should still be comparable to an expensive cable, if not even cheaper.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Another thing to consider would be a USB audio device, and using a much shorter audio cable or cables. For instance, my display is about 50' from the HTPC, but I also have a USB hub right next to the receiver at about 40' from the HTPC (I'm using two active USB extender cables).

·
Registered
211 Posts
us coax s/pdif, that will bypass the typically sup-par analog audio of onboard outputs and minimize the interference issues.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

and if you don't have optical s/pdif on your pc already try this

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUCA202

If you update your soundcard you would still need to a cable to send the bit-stream to the receiver and you don't need a DDL card just to send stereo over s/pdif optical or toslink, infact many onboard audio solutions have digital outputs, my intel board from 2004 did and so does my abit board from 2005.

What model board are you using?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I second the last suggestion. I would use digital coax for a one-wire solution, as it will carry 2 channel PCM to your receiver, no problem. Many onboard soundcards have a single RCA jack sticking out the back. This is the one you want. If not, most have a header on the motherboard that can be wired up with a bracket, check the manual for the bracket ordering information (or ebay).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for your help.

I realized that the whole point of going optical was so that I didn't have to worry about noise, but then I got all caught up with the DDL thing that I abandoned it, and decided to keep things simple by just outputting in 2.0 stereo.

However, I forgot that optical supports this no problem without DDL, so thanks for reminding me!

I have an Asus motherboard, and just ordered the S/PDIF module that goes along with it. If I can configure the card to output any old stereo signal on the digital output while at the same time outputting in analog to my PC speakers, then I'm good to go.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got the card and tried it out using a couple of female F to male RCA adapters and some RG6 cable, and works perfectly with no extra configuration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts