AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got my new projector (Epson 8350), my new HDMI 1.4 cables, and a new house with a new media/bonus room. Now I'm ready to build my screen!

My last media room had a WA-FG laminate screen, 114" with velvet border. It worked GREAT, but from what I've been reading, the paint will do an even better job. My new room has a lot more ambient light, so I'd like to go with a screen even more conducive to this environment.

The catch, is I'd like to not paint the wall. I'm looking at 110-120" screen in the new place, and am interested in putting black lights behind the screen for extra effect.

So the laminate is about $100/roll, and from what I've read, there's polywall, sinta, or maybe other products that are loads cheaper but will still provide a solid enough surface to paint on. I'd love to hear from you about what surface you'd recommend, as well as what paint mixture (MM, S-I-L-V-E-R, etc.), as well as a link to where I can get started. I'm willing to buy a sprayer if rolling won't do the trick - I've got to paint a nursery very soon anyway (along with the media room)!

Here's a quick YouTube vid giving a virtual tour of my media room. The PJ will be mounted about 12-13ft from the screen. We watch primarily TV (Dish Network) -- basketball and sit-coms. We'll be getting into blu-ray soon, but are still more of TV watchers at this point, so the 16x9 frame is of more importance to us.

Thanks for your help! You guys rock.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,894 Posts
Hi. Tired of waiting yet?

So OK. RS-MaxxMudd would be an easy but high performance option.

Do a search or go here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1139061

Read it all, then look via search for other Member's posting.

If you can, try to learn as much as possible, then PM me for some vital specifics.

Then ya gotta post up about it all so others can benefit....

....or run screaming madly, tearing hair, clothes, lamenting that they too did not follow suit.

Or file one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not that I was checking every 5 minutes or anything!
D I just figured you were working or hunting LOL

Ok, I'll read up and post my progress. Any ideas on what substrate to use? 110-120" range is what I'm looking at. BOC? Laminate? I defer to your infinite wisdom!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspursfan /forum/post/19516953

Not that I was checking every 5 minutes or anything!
D I just figured you were working or hunting LOL

Ok, I'll read up and post my progress. Any ideas on what substrate to use? 110-120" range is what I'm looking at. BOC? Laminate? I defer to your infinite wisdom!

I suggest to most the use of Sintra...or at times Gatorfoam. Both are expanded Foam substrates, each specifically intended to be painted directly upon...no priming required.

Of the two, Sintra is the toughest, it's almost impossible to scratch, and in the 6mm (1/4") thickness, although rigid enough to hang straight, it also is quite flexible, so it goes into vehicles, through doorways, and down / up stairwells that have 90 degree bends.

Sintra is readily available from locations that sell Plastic Sheeting and Tubing materials. Piedmont Plastics, Laird Plastics, GE Polymershapes Distributors are the most likely and readily available sources.

Prices can vary....and 5' x 10' x 1/4" (or 1/2") sizes are not always stocked everywhere (extra shipping cost are then incurred) I'm always glad to help source the stuff if provided with a City/State/Zip.

The other alternative is Wilson Art "Designer White". That stuff can be priced the same, or even less, and is obtainable through more locations. However it's always best...no actually it's always necessary to build a correct and sturdy Frame for it, unless one can glue it directly to the Wall and spray it in place (...that makes things worlds easier...)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know I can get the WA laminate down at Home Depot since that's what I used for my last screen. I live in the north Dallas suburbs (75034) so I would think Sintra is readily available around here somewhere for a better price than the WA?

Oh, and I have no problem framing. I did it once before, I can do it again, although the lighter material might be easier to work with.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspursfan /forum/post/19518167

I know I can get the WA laminate down at Home Depot since that's what I used for my last screen. I live in the north Dallas suburbs (75034) so I would think Sintra is readily available around here somewhere for a better price than the WA?

Oh, and I have no problem framing. I did it once before, I can do it again, although the lighter material might be easier to work with.

I'll tell ya what, hanging Sintra onto the wall is so easy to do, even a Republican can do it.

Cavemen & Cowboys too!

Putting up the Trim is a lesson in effortlessness. You can simply have the Sintra cut to exact size, hang it (w/adhesive), then butt the Trim against the edges. Or have the Sintra cut a bit over sized, use Screws to attach the Sintra to the Wall, the overlay the Trim to create your screen area and cover up the Screws.

Frame? We don't need no stinkin' Frame!

Laird has a branch in Dallas.

Laird Plastics

10737 King William Dr

Dallas, TX 75220

T: 800/272-2344

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/19518202

I'll tell ya what, hanging Sintra onto the wall is so easy to do, even a Republican can do it.

Cavemen & Cowboys too!

Putting up the Trim is a lesson in effortlessness. You can simply have the Sintra cut to exact size, hang it (w/adhesive), then butt the Trim against the edges. Or have the Sintra cut a bit over sized, use Screws to attach the Sintra to the Wall, the overlay the Trim to create your screen area and cover up the Screws.

Frame? We don't need no stinkin' Frame!

Laird has a branch in Dallas.

Laird Plastics

10737 King William Dr

Dallas, TX 75220

T: 800/272-2344

Awesome, I'll check them out. I may frame it anyway just to keep my options open for back lighting.

How much will the Sintra cost? I'm sure it's so moderately priced, even Democrats can afford it

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspursfan /forum/post/19518377

Awesome, I'll check them out. I may frame it anyway just to keep my options open for back lighting.

How much will the Sintra cost? I'm sure it's so moderately priced, even Democrats can afford it

10' x 5' x 1/4" averages $92.00 w/one Cut to 108" to accommodate a 120" screen

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They're closed on the weekends, but I'll call them on Monday. I also found another plastics distributor in the same area, so I can price shop between the two.

Thanks!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspursfan /forum/post/19518678

They're closed on the weekends, but I'll call them on Monday. I also found another plastics distributor in the same area, so I can price shop between the two.

Thanks!

Good luck! I hope you can get a killer deal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, Laird has a minimum $350 purchase, and they wanted $150 for a 5x10 sheet

I called the other plastics company and they have a generic brand. It's not Sintra brand but the same stuff he said. In white, the 5x10, 1/4 inch sheet is $79. The 1/8 inch is $43.

I assume the generic Sintra works, so long as it's white?

Also, do you recommend the 1/4 over the 1/8 inch, or does it matter? It's only another $40 for the increased thickness, but i'll keep the $40 if it's not necessary

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspursfan /forum/post/19528210

OK, Laird has a minimum $350 purchase, and they wanted $150 for a 5x10 sheet

I called the other plastics company and they have a generic brand. It's not Sintra brand but the same stuff he said. In white, the 5x10, 1/4 inch sheet is $79. The 1/8 inch is $43.

I assume the generic Sintra works, so long as it's white?

Also, do you recommend the 1/4 over the 1/8 inch, or does it matter? It's only another $40 for the increased thickness, but i'll keep the $40 if it's not necessary

Go for the least expensive.. .and the thinnest if your mounting directly onto the wall.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Is this Sintra stuff a little flexible? I want a screen of the same dimensions, but the problem is getting it into the basement, with two tricky, congested 90 degree turns to negotiate going down the stairs. It's hard enough to get 8'x4' drywall down.

We were thinking of using an extra sheet of drywall as the screen, ie not directly on the wall itself (the reason's complicated, can't explain now).

Will drywall work as a reasonable surface for painting the screen on?

·
Registered
821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit /forum/post/19568578

Is this Sintra stuff a little flexible? I want a screen of the same dimensions, but the problem is getting it into the basement, with two tricky, congested 90 degree turns to negotiate going down the stairs. It's hard enough to get 8'x4' drywall down.

We were thinking of using an extra sheet of drywall as the screen, ie not directly on the wall itself (the reason's complicated, can't explain now).

Will drywall work as a reasonable surface for painting the screen on?

Sintra is very flexible. I contorted it pretty good in getting it into my Bronco with the back window down. I also have pretty tight 90 degree turns and had NO problems getting the painted screen downstairs. It is much lighter than a sheet of drywall and therefore not difficult to maneuver on stairs.

Drywall will work like any other flat surface. Unlike Sintra, it requires primer and is definitely easier to dent. Sintra has the advantage of being wide enough to produce a 120" screen with no seams. 48" drywall is going to give you a much smaller screen than you originally spec'd and it is going to be heavy to mount.

Anything is "possible", just not necessarily the optimum way to go.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg /forum/post/19569172

Sintra is very flexible. I contorted it pretty good in getting it into my Bronco with the back window down. I also have pretty tight 90 degree turns and had NO problems getting the painted screen downstairs. It is much lighter than a sheet of drywall and therefore not difficult to maneuver on stairs.

Drywall will work like any other flat surface. Unlike Sintra, it requires primer and is definitely easier to dent. Sintra has the advantage of being wide enough to produce a 120" screen with no seams. 48" drywall is going to give you a much smaller screen than you originally spec'd and it is going to be heavy to mount.

Anything is "possible", just not necessarily the optimum way to go.

Thanks very much! However, it's all moot now. I woke up this morning to talk to the contractor... and somehow he'd already mounted a 105"x59" sheet of drywall (with a horizontal seam) on the wall. He's an amazing plasterer, and I have no doubt that the seam will completely disappear once he does his stuff. Now to find the best paint mix...

·
Registered
821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit /forum/post/19569468

Thanks very much! However, it's all moot now. I woke up this morning to talk to the contractor... and somehow he'd already mounted a 105"x59" sheet of drywall (with a horizontal seam) on the wall. He's an amazing plasterer, and I have no doubt that the seam will completely disappear once he does his stuff. Now to find the best paint mix...

I'm not sure we can approve this solution as it's not DIY

·
Registered
2,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg /forum/post/19569935

I'm not sure we can approve this solution as it's not DIY

The whole theatre, which will double as a gym in the daytime was designed by me and is being built by J-P, the contractor. We've encountered many obstacles along the way and have come up with acceptable solutions to them all between the two of us. It doesn't get more DIY than this, but I do appreciate the joke!

I'll start a thread on the build in the appropriate forum eventually, and will post a couple of pics in this subforum later to solicit more advice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm leaving the plastics store as I type. Got a 3mm 5x10 sheet of sintra for $43! He also threw in a 12x12 inch plate of 1/4" acrylic, which I might use when mounting the projector.

This thing fits in the back if a pickup, and I tied it down with twine I got for free from Home Depot. Look forward to painting!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts