AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It'll cost you $500. Oh, and a $20,000 set-up fee.

Posted 12/08/2010 1200 PM by Alison Willmore

In the indie world, simultaneous (or near) theatrical/VOD releases have become commonplace, from Magnolia to our sister company IFC Films to Cinetic's FilmBuff -- Magnolia even offers an "Ultra VOD" that allows viewers to see certain titles before they're in theaters. But how about a Hollywood movie?

Lauren A. E. Schuker at the Wall Street Journal reports on Prima Cinema, a service that will basically offer a high end version of day-and-date VOD for big features. Very high end: "Prima plans to charge customers a one-time fee of about $20,000 for a digital-delivery system and an additional $500 per film."

The proposed system represents a twist in an ongoing debate over the future of "release windows," the practice of staggering the distribution of movies through different channels to maximize profits in each. Traditionally, that has meant a movie hits theaters first, followed several months later by DVDs, video-on-demand, subscription-cable channels, and so on.

The windowing system has already come under pressure amid plummeting DVD sales and rising digital piracy. And consumers have grown accustomed to receiving entertainment content more readily than they used to.

The service is aiming for a launch late next year, and even if it works out as planned will be so out of reach for the average moviegoer that it's hard to imagine it having any significant impact on the business. Still, this speaks to the huge shifts happening to the old model of keeping theatrical release, DVD and VOD windows separate, something that used to be considered the unquestioned way the business works. And we're one more step closer to never having to leave the house to see movies.

http://www.ifc.com/news/2010/12/want...vie-on-ope.php

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
This will be interesting to follow. I went to their website which is linked in the article but it's just a splash page at this time. I can see people doing this but not in large numbers. If you can get past the initial set up fee, which is kind of hard to imagine, then a good first run feature for $500 day and date isn't TOTALLY unreasonable. I could see maybe a group of 10 friends all pitching in to watch Tron Legacy or something big like that but in my world, I am much more comfortable waiting on the blu-ray ;-) Still nice to dream, though.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
And to think people were complaining when Zune offered Ondine and Red Cliff a month BEFORE theaters for a measly $16. I would definitely rather see more of that (I had 3 friends over and we watched Red Cliff for $4 each).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.