AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to stream all of my content on my Unraid server to my laptop over the internet. I have Air Video setup and it works perfectly for my Iphone and iPad. I was hoping they had a PC client but they do not. I tried out Tversity and PS3MediaServer and they seems too bulky. I just wanted something to install on my windows PC and point it to the unraid share like Air Video.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What about Remote Potato?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I use Remote Potato and it works well. You have to be using 7MC, though. I can watch all tv recordings, videos, and movies in MKV format, including bluray rips with HD audio. The remote potato will convert the audio on-the-fly. I haven't tested to see if it can do 5.1 or converts to 2.1. You can also choose your audio stream if multiple exist.

I know at least the Android app supports WoL if you want to figure out how to wake your HTPC up on command and not leave it on. Other 3rd party programs exist specifically to do this that you could find on other platforms if they don't have built-in WoL.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I am installing Remote Potato now. I basically wanted something to decrease the quality so it could be streamed on an internet connection...hopefully it will do in on the fly. Does is just re-encode the audio?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
it transcodes video and audio on-the-fly. If you have a high enough upstream, 1.5-2mbps, the quality can look really good for an ipad/laptop screen. It will make my e8400 80-90% usage when transcoding a 1080p movie.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What settings do you use when streaming? I set mine at the normal for a TV show (320x240 600kbps) Didn't look bad, my CPU was at around 90-95%.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts