AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I have the dual 6.5" sony floorstanders that were replaced by the dual 8" that BB now carries. I bought these back in college and overall have been pretty happy with the setup (matching center and surrounds as well). I'm now in the real world and the Sony's are getting a little beatup from all the moving back and forth, plus my niece just recently poked the tweeter out of one...oops. In any event, I'm looking to upgrade, mainly for HT and TV use, and want to spend just a little bit more this time around. I've been looking at the SVS system, HTD, briefly considered Insignias, and also Athena B1.2s. It seems all of these systems should all be a step up from the old Sonys, but most of the have a 5.25" driver vs. the dual sony 6.5". Please confirm that I shouldn't be worried about this and that the quality of the speaker will more than make up for the size difference in terms of listening pleasure. I will also be upgrading subs eventually which I assume will be a big part of overall system quality with these bookshelf type systems. Most likely I'll get 2 pairs or 1 pair and a matching center to setup my LCR and leave the old sony surrounds for now, eventually replacing with a matching pair from whatever I chose. Looking at max $225/pair (based on SVS). Thanks for any input in advance.

·
Banned
8,503 Posts
Of the ones you mentioned, my choice would be the Athenas. Yes, the jump in quality will be significant, and will more than make up for the smaller woofer size. (You will be amazed at the bass a well made 5.25" woofer is capable of these days.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.