AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found two, very good old speakers that I want to add in as side surrounds. The only problem is that, due to the nature of the room (a huge sliding door on one side, a window on the other), it is impossible to put them equidistant from the front speakers and the back surrounds. I've made a picture illustrating the options that I have:

So, what should I do? Should I place them closer to the front speakers or closer to the back speakers?

Also, the only discs I have with 6.1 or 7.1 surround sound are Disturbia, We Were Soldiers, and Top Gun (All on HD DVD, all have 6.1 DTS tracks). How would that work with 7.1?

·
Registered
30,077 Posts
Neither speaker location will work for a 7.1 set-up. Sounds that you should be hearing from your sides will instead be coming from in front of you, and sounds that you should be hearing from behind you will instead be coming from your sides.

With your seating against the back wall, stick to a 5.1-speaker set-up. Better to do 5.1 properly than 7.1 badly. If you can move your listening position maybe 1/3rd of the way into the room, then you'd be a better candidate for a 7.1 layout.

Sanjay

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/12885047

Neither speaker location will work for a 7.1 set-up. Sounds that you should be hearing from your sides will instead be coming from in front of you, and sounds that you should be hearing from behind you will instead be coming from your sides.

With your seating against the back wall, stick to a 5.1-speaker set-up. Better to do 5.1 properly than 7.1 badly. If you can move your listening position maybe 1/3rd of the way into the room, then you'd be a better candidate for a 7.1 layout.

Sanjay

what he said.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts