AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first off thanks for any help here. I am currently running a denon 1910 so any of these choices will be a huge upgrade. I am looking at the following receivers. I have done so much searching my head is about to fall off lol. All but the 4250 are refurbished.

Denon x4000 $650 refurb
Denon x4100 $875 refurb
Denon 4250 $1000 new
Denon x5200 $1300 refurb

My setup consist of a 7.2
Samsung un65h7150 tv
Klipsch Rf-52ii mains
Klipsch Rc-52ii center
Klipsch Rb-41ii surrounds x4
Klipsch Rw-12d subs x2

I was originally leaning towards the x4000 for it's low price. Then I thought about the x4100 is not much more. Then I thought hmm 4250 is new less than $200 more ugh you get the idea. So basically I decided to ask for help. I've decided to limit myself to no more than $1500 and possibly consider other brands too.

I am looking for the best match to my setup as I don't plan to upgrade for about another 4-5 years. So concluding if you were in my shoes what would you do here?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello Autocado,

Welcome to the forums. Just a few questions:

1- Is 4k upscaling/pass thru an issue? If yes, what till the new models come out that are HDMI 2.0 at full speed and HDCP 2.2 compliant.
2- Is Atmos an issue? If yes, get the X5200W.
If both are no, you can also get a new X4000 for $800.00.

Of your choices, I would get the 4520. You can also find it refurbished for $800.00

My personal choice is no to both questions. My house is hard wired for internet so wifi is not an issue as well. I would get a Pioneer Elite as I prefer the class D amps. There are some very good deals out there for the SC-7x series since they are last years models. I have the SC-75, RF-82's for fronts, RC-62 for center, KF-28's for sides, RS-42's for rears, and 1 RW-12d.

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was typing this on my phone at work didn't realize I miss typed the 4520ci I was in a bit of a rush 15 min break :eek: Ok so 4k is not important I did read into the HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 thanks for that info. This makes my choice a bit easier. I am staying 1080p for the foreseeable future and no atmos because new ceiling speakers are a no go we just redid the attic with a ton of blown in insulation.

I will look into the pioneer models but I'm now leaning towards the 4520 as its very close to the x4000 price. This will save me money too thanks guys.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Yeah, going up into the blown in insulation for ceiling speakers just doesn't appeal to me, either. My surrounds are mounted up high, good enough. :) I think the Audyssey XT32 is a worthy reason for upgrade (coming from an XT avr before this and a Pioneer before that....MCACC has some good features but weak on subs in comparison to XT32).

·
The Village Idiot
9,714 Posts
I ended up with a refurbished Denon 4311 from A4L. Price was right but for $100 more I could have had the 4520. The 4311 will be here tomorrow. My last XT32 receiver was an Onkyo NR818. I got so nervous after having the last three Onkyo products crap out that I got a bit schizoid and sold it a couple of months later. It wasn't capable of EQ'ing 2 subs separately and the 4311 is - as is the 4520. Either one is a great AVR. I'm hoping it lasts a long time - I bought a 3 year extended warranty for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts