AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Want your stock car radio to deliver high quality output similar to that of an aftermarket head unit? The PXE-H650 can make any factory car radio sound like a high-quality Alpine head unit. It is an audio processor that is designed to allow consumers to upgrade their vehicle's sound system from the installed factory stereo system. The product is a sophisticated audio processor that allows for advanced sound tuning of factory equipment by correcting the acoustical problems in any vehicle on the market. The PXE-H650 is equipped with AntEQ, to remove the factory equalization, and Audyssey SoundEQ XT, to optimize the sound quality of the car's system.

AntEQ works by removing all factory equalization, bringing the factory system's EQ to a flat response and removing all distortion created by the system. It balances all sound levels using DSP power, and flattens the output signals so that Alpine amplifier and speaker upgrades can be added to the factory system.

After AntEQ has flattened the factory EQ, Audyssey SoundEQ XT then tunes the vehicle's system for optimum performance. The PXE-H650 uses an active feedback microphone to collect measurements from the vehicle's cabin. The unit then automatically tunes itself, making automatic adjustments for the in-cabin acoustics to create optimal sound quality. Audyssey SoundEQ XT adjusts time correction, frequency and phase in relation to each other. At this point, amplifiers, speakers and subwoofers could be added for a simple upgrade of the factory system, or a more complex system can be made if a full multi-channel set-up is desired. A powerful DSP processor allows for acoustic correction all the way down to 20 Hz on all channels. SoundEQ XT analyzes the entire frequency spectrum.

With this system, the troubles of installing head units in increasing complex vehicle dash units are a thing of the past. Just use the stock radio that came with your vehicle and turn your sound system into the beast that it wants to be!

Available Q1 2007. Price $400.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
How does it compare to JL's or RF's version???

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool4life /forum/post/0

How does it compare to JL's or RF's version???

JL's CleanSweep will only flatten the EQ from the headunit, no further EQ after. i think the RF 3SIXTY (especially the .2) is more powerful and has more control & features, but the only glaring difference is that with the RF, you can only EQ to one seat/position.

i have good experience with Audyssey's processing from a Denon receiver at home, so i'm in line for this Alpine unit.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Will it make the crappy $2 tweeters and $5 6x8s in my beater sing like an Alpine head unit??

More often than not, the problem in a factory car audio system is a sum of all parts - starting with mediocre, underpowered decks to piss poor speakers placed in the most attrocious acoustic locations with nary a trace of panel dampening or sound deadening in sight.

In most cases the head units are better than the speakers and the amplification installed. But, I can see where this product can make a difference - in a car where the user might not want to change the stock look of the car by changing the electronics, while changing the stock speakers with better ones. It might not be the "one size fits all" solution as the promo material claims to be.

·
Registered
268 Posts
These products cost less than higher end head units, a couple questions

1. How difficult are these things to install for the average shop?

2. Assuming I buy new speakers/amp/subs, will these units really give me the same type of

sound as higher end head aftermarket head units?

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by new27 /forum/post/0

These products cost less than higher end head units, a couple questions

1. How difficult are these things to install for the average shop?

2. Assuming I buy new speakers/amp/subs, will these units really give me the same type of

sound as higher end head aftermarket head units?

IMPRINT is designed to be used in conjunction with aftermarket amplifiers & speakers. re-introducing into your stock speakers will defeat the purpose.

it should be easy to install as it should come with "adapters" for stock headunits. then, hooking up an aftermarket amplifier should be straightforward. the immediate benefit is auto-EQ, because RTA's are not usually common in most service shops.

alpine is well known for good audio quality so i have good reason to believe that this will sound really good, especially with the EQ. i hope they introduce a multi-channel (5.1) version soon so i can interface it in my other car...

·
Registered
540 Posts
It's a great product IF you have to keep your stock head unit... If it's so proprietary and integrated that it can't be removed.. Which is becoming more and more prevalent.

I'd say this Alpine unit and the Rockford unit are probably the best sofar.. I also read that JBL is coming out with something similar but don't know if it's as good.

For you guys who can swap out the head unit, Alpine is also releasing the CDA-9887 which has this same Imprint technology.. The head unit, however, will not have the auto-calibration equipment (software and microphone) but that will be offered later as an installer's tool-kit.. hopefully available to the DIY'ers as well as the pro's. But the head unit looks like a good contender for the few high-end units on the market now, the pioneer P9 and the Clarion DRZ9255 which is just plain CD only but very high-end CD only, with excellent processing... Or one of the Alpine units with optical outs going into an H701 processor (which is about as good as it gets).

·
Registered
540 Posts
New buzz about the JBL product.. Sounds like it's going to be a contender on it's own.. It was formerly called the Fix8, but I think the release model# will be the MS-8. 8 channels input and output, oem (speaker level) integration or rca input.. like the 3sixty.2 and alpine unit, with a bit more extensive crossover capability and also has auto-calibration like the others.. Also has an internal 8 channel chip-amp for 8x20watts or preouts for larger amps.. And a control panel included to work with any head unit. Slick.. One of JBL's SQ car competition guys did quite well with one of these in a bmw with only stock head unit, stock speakers and a sub amp/sub setup.

http://www.audiogroupforum.com/csfor...d.php?p=641487

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.