AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a manufacturer planning to or already producing an STB capable of High Definition Reception and having Dual Tuner Capability? I don't know of any, but I'm not as "plugged in" as most here in the forum.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
At this time ALL HDTV STB's are single tuner models. The "next step" in HDTV STB's will probaby be a PVR but will also probably have a single tuner. This new STB might be shown at the 2002 CES show in Vegas in January, Both Zenith (DirecTV) and Echostar (DISH) have made their intentions known that they want to market a HD-STB with PVR.

We will have to wait till January of 2002 to see what shapes up

Lee

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,623 Posts
Lee,

From the Dish Network Tech Chat yesterday, in answer to a question, the HV PVR will not show up until late 2002.

And as you say, no dual HD tuner, at this time.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
904 Posts
Killgore, http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I can't imagine dual tuner STBs coming out before PVR simply because there isn't much practical use for it without being able to record one channel while watching another. Most DTVs will not do PIP or split screen while in HD mode, so the only use I can think of is two TVs, in which case it would probably be much more convenient to use two STBs.

I'm a bit worried that PVR won't be very soon as the data requirements of HD are much greater than NTSC and would require significantly larger hard drives to record anywhere near the same time as the current unites. The hardware cost would probably be prohibative for at least a year or more.

jake

**** addendum ****

well, thanks to the miracle of cross-posting, I see that my prediction of "a year or more" has come true as "late 2002" HA! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by jakehall (edited 08-08-2001).]

·
Registered
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KTrout:
Does anybody know of a manufacturer planning to or already producing an STB capable of High Definition Reception and having Dual Tuner Capability? I don't know of any, but I'm not as "plugged in" as most here in the forum.

Thanks in advance.
I guess they could produce a version of the Microsoft Ultimate TV box for HD - I believe that has two NTSC tuners - depending on how successful the standard version it. (Ultimate TV - misnomer or what?). But honestly I don't see that happening anytime soon. Aside from that, you're just going to need to aquire another HD tuner if you're recording HD with one and want to watch another channel. Fortunately used DTC100's can be had relatively cheaply now ($250 or less with some looking).

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the posts....

I really don't know that at this time, with the limited HD material out there, I would need a dual HD tuner; but I would like to be able to utilize the POP feature on my TV.

If the "Ultimate" TV STB handled HD, it would probably passify me for the time being. I still don't have OTA HD (Local CBS says 1st Quarter Next Year) and am just trying to line things up......

Read some pretty disturbing forums regarding DirectTV and DishNetwork being able to "change" my HD reception, and that the price of STB's might be going up Jan 2002 that have brought this off of the back burner.

Thanks again for your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.