AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Comcast digital cable and am prepared to upgrade to HD but would like to first know if anyone can recommend an HD-ready set that does a decent job of handling non-HD signals. Based on what I've read in other threads, this seems to be a major shortcoming of many popular models out there. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm still at least 6 mos from my cable company offering HD/DVR combo. So I'm analog with my spankin' new 34xbr910 until then. However, i must say that in the showroom floor, the salesman went to another input and showed me the signal that was directly from the antenna on their roof (non-HDTV). It was just fine.

With a higher quality HDTV you 'will' see the analog broadcast flaws from the cable company. It drove me nuts when I replaced a 13 year old Mitsu with a flat tube Sharp. I thought the Sharp television sucked until the tecnician showed me that the cable company's signal was what sucked.

I would have to say that the 34"XBR910 is an excellent choice for both analog and HDTV signals. If the cable company can't get their signal right, turn off the box and stick in a DVD while you wait for HDTV broadcasts.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Sony's WE610 line (Projection LCD's, 42" being the smallest) certainly seems to handle analog cable better than the XBR910. I was taken aback by that given the larger sizes and digital technology, but the '610 comes with it's own brand of shortcomings, so I don't mean to imply that it's a better unit...just that sub par cable feeds are noticeably less noisy and artifacty. Hopefully other members can share experiences with other manufacturers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Philips 34pw9819 and I use it solely for analog at this point. The picture varies according to the signal I'm getting from my satellite, but overall I'm very impressed. It is even more impressive when viewing DVDs from a progressive scan DVD player. I was watching "Finding Nemo" the other day and I was honestly blown away by the quality. It seems hard to believe that HD could be any better.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I watch digital SD from BrightHouse Cable on my 40XBR, and at times the PQ is almost DVD quality. But you won't believe the jump in PQ when you view HD on the new TV's. It's smokin'!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 40xbr800 & I am completely satisfied with the pq.

I just upgraded my Comcast in Central NJ to digital.

They provided a Motorola STB for HD.

I split the signal before the STB so the analog channels (using cable input)

remain as clear as before & use the STB (component input) for the digital & hd channels which are remarkable.

bbg

cajieboy,

did you ever program your remote?

·
Registered
29,170 Posts
I have the (now) famous 34XBR910 and must say that analog picture quality is significantly worse than I saw in my old 32XBR400. The picture is too "contrasty" with no shadow detail. I've fiddled with all the menu picture settings as well as the upconverting palette. Nothing seems to help. However, HD and DVD look superb. Is this everyone else's experience with this set as well?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
bbg280,

Are you referring to the Sony RM-AV3000 Universal Remote I got for Xmas? If so, then yes. The Remote automatically recognized my Sony DVD Player, Sony VCR, and the Scientific Atlanta STB (once the code was entered). I could fool around w/this thing more, and get it to do many functions but have been lazy in this regard. It's a neat Remote. Did you want to get one?

·
Registered
53 Posts
cajieboy,

I use either the motorola stb remote or the original sony remote.

the only thing the sony remote won't do is checking whats on other channels while watching a show.

bbg

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
bbg280,

I rarely use the original TV's remote since I got the Sony RM-AV3000. This thing is one Mamma-jamma of a Remote, w/more gizmos/functions than I care to count. It will handle about anything. Have you seen one?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.