AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hitachi 43-inch HD-ready TV and a DISH 500. I can't watch HD because, after spending 2,000 dollars for the TV, I can't justify spending another 700 dollars for the DISH 6000 system. Is there just a modulator or tuner out there that will process the over the air broadcast from the local channels through the antenna? I have seen a couple of examples but they cost almost as much as the DISH 6000 system. Is there a cheaper way? My wife likes the PVR function of the DISH500 which is also another drawback.

·
Registered
469 Posts
doubt you will find one, but I picked up a Panasonic DST50 for $150 on closeout at circuit city, if you can find one that may be an option for you. I know a few others on the forum found one as well. Other then that Dish was running a special for $99, but I think it might have been for new subscribers (you could try to argue you should get one because you are such a loyal customer), and I do not know if that is still going or not.

Good Luck

------------------

Peter L.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The Samsung SIR-T150 is $499.95 at bhphoto.com, and there is a $100 rebate from Samsung bringing the price down to $399.95. Not sure if that is low enough for you, but it is a good deal. See this thread.

- Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did it for well under 2 Grand.

Toshiba 43HX70 for under 1500 delivered.

Dish 6023T for under 400 delivered.

OneCall has the 43H70 listed for 1399 + delivery, but they are out of stock, so you get the 43HX70 instead. Delivery costs may vary but it was 80 bucks to Arizona.

You can get the 6023T from www.allsat.com for under 400 delivered.

I am getting my HDTV tomorrow and satellite hopefully next week...can't wait.

I do not work for either of these places, just trying to help out : ), but if you do buy from OneCall they have a 1% referral bonus I would love to get if you mention my name. Of course that is up to you if you want to mention my name, email me if you decide to buy from them..I'd love to get the bonus : )

I just noticed that what I typed won't help you very much...sorry.

You already have Dish service so you can't get the deal from AllSat, and you already bought the 43" Toshiba. If it is not too late to return it, perhaps you could save 500 big ones and return it and order a new one. Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by burnzie (edited 08-08-2001).]

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The DTC-100 at a hot price is a possibility, but if you use it just for OTA, be aware that you may want to connect it to a friend's Direct TV dish for a night to catch the important firmware upgrade, which is available only that way. You don't have to be a DTV subscriber, you just have to receive their bird for a night.

The details for this have been covered in several threads here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.