AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a couple of key issues cleared up. First, is the remote infrared (IR) that can be "learned" by another learning remote, specifically the functions that control the satellite receiver? Anyone do that? Second, does this thing have a built-in DTV tuner? Like other brands, can you "scan" or "add" your local HD channels into the unit's program guide? And if so, if/when you select a local HD off-air program from the guide, does it automatically show up on your TV screen or do you still have to change TV channels or hit any other buttons to get the picture? Any other pros and cons would be welcome too. Also, if you wouldn't mind, include an email address in your response. Thanks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
CharlieA:

I assume you are referring to the Hughes Platinum E86? I have the E86. I've only programmed the remote using the provided numeric codes to operate other equipment - works well. I have not tried to "learn" IR functions from other remotes. It may not do that. Yes it has a DTV tuner that integrates channels into the program menu guide. It has a scan feature that will scan every available channel - UHF DTV (HD) VHF, Coax, SAT and integrate into it's menu guide. You can also add/delete channels manually. It has 3 favorite guides, plus a family guide. You can have sports on FAV A, movie channels on FAV B, etc. The Hughes box requires you to manually switch between SD and HD. However, many universal remotes and some standard remotes have macro buttons that can perform a series of commands with a single push of a button. This a very nice box. The menu guide is fast, there is no noisy fans, no picture drop outs, lip synch issues, etc. Good Luck - Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tony, what do you mean when you say you must manually switch between Standard definition and High Definition? Could you explain that process a little more? Also, do you mean that you can "add" your regular VHF TV stations into the E86 as well?

Finally, regarding the remote, I would not be trying to learn other remotes with the E86 remote. I would be trying to learn the E86 remote INTO another "learning" remote. But in order to be able to do that, the E86 remote must emit an IR signal. The specs refer to the E86 remote as IR/RF. Most learning remotes that I know of, can only learn the functions of another IR remote. If anoyone has learned the E86 remnote into another remote, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
CharlieA:

The E86, as with most (except I believe Sony) require you to manually switch the video source from SD to HD. Basically, you're switching between 4:3 and 16:9 mode. HD is 16:9, not 4:3. On the guide function - you can add channels from any source - VHF, UHF etc. Believe me, the integration feature is quite nice. Finally, yes the remote can be learned. I just went and tried it. However (and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong), the E86 comes with an RF antenna. The remote may have some logic built in to selectivly choose between IR and RF depending on the distance of the STB from the remote. Although I wouldn't think so - the remote does not appear to be a two-way remote. Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.