AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so my HT gallery in my signature. Well here this the thing, its set up in my college dorm room's common living room (shared by three other people, though it is mostly my domain). The word Utilitarianism basically sums it up--I am looking for ideas to make it look better.

Okay now here are the rules I am living under.

1. No painting

2. All furniture is university-issued and cannot be moved out.

3. I'm a college kid: Think cheap! (Budget is about $200)

4. My roommates are not alcoholics, their professionals--nothing too fragile.

Have fun!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Wow! I bet this is the coolest room in the entire dorm. You must be on really good terms with the RA and your next door and below neighbors.

It seems you are allowed to drill holes. Maybe you could also use staples. What I am thinking of is some black velvet drapery around the screen for optical and acoustic purposes. I'd also think of some kind of black out shades for the windows on the left.

I am an art history PH.D. student and I find you need some art in there (always goes over very well with the ladies). Filmposters are very inexpensive and the old-fashioned handpainted ones like Gone with the wind or Casablanca or King Kong are very classy. You will see, trust me on that one. Also each of you could choose and pay for one poster of his favorite movie. Practice democracy and lower costs. Put the darkest posters under the PJ to reduce reflections from the screen and back.

For the ceiling some lightweight cloth in the color of your choice but possibly dark will reduce reflections of light back to the screen and enhance the contrast. You can use little tacks, they'll hold well if you use enough. Make it not straight and flat to the ceiling but with a little balloony effect, like in those oriental harems, he, he.

Finally, get those components off the subs. The vibrations are not good for them and will deteriorate your audio and video signal. There should be enough space on the right to put them. You might also think about decoupling the bass for the sake of those beneath you.

$200 should be enough for all of these things and make your DT (dorm theater) more homely and give a better sound and picture quality. You'll be able to charge entry just take care of those copyrights (this country is crazy). I am very curious how it turns out. Please post or PM when you are done.

Have fun,

Till

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Till, how do you recommend "decoupling the bass for the sake of those beneath you" ?

From what I've read, it takes a massive amount of effort to stop bass level tones, as it takes a lot of material to absorb it. I'm in a similiar situation as the original poster in that I need to cut the bass transfer through my floor, but there is really no way to do this without ripping up the subfloor and installing several hundred pounds of insulation material.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Spearce,

decoupling bass is taking us a little away from the original post but I guess in the apartment context it can still find justification. You are right decoupling bass is one of the most difficult things to do. And despite all my research on diverse forums I have not yet found the definitive answer to what is better for sound, decoupling or coupling. But decoupling for the sake of the neighbour is probably good for your relation with him or her.

What I did was to move the sub or speakers further away from the wall that goes straight down to the neighbour because apparently the wall transmitted more sound than the floor. I then put big double cinder blocks under my sub. That little 6 or 8 inch elevation cleaned up the bass in my room a little I feel, and it also had a slight effect on the neighbour's apartment.

What I have always done with my neighbours next door and below is to invite them over for a glass and show them my extensive system. They see that this is a serious hobby for me (they might even think I am a bit crazy and it is better not to mess with someone who spends that kind of money on stereos) and that I am a real music lover and not just bang bang boom. Then I play some tracks in my ideal listening volume to make them understand it's really not that loud in my place. I offer to go to their apartment with them and see how loud it is there and then we go back and forth if necessary to adjust so I can see what about is the loudest tolerable for them on my display. They are usually quite appreciative when you go through all this with them to make sure they aren't bothered. Since I have my HT, I also invite them over for watching a film together from time to time and they enjoy it and haven't complained yet. So I guess the diplomatic efforts are as effective for reducing the "sound pressure" for your neighbours as the acoustic measures.

Cheers,

Till

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Thanks everyone! the redone theater in in my sig!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.