AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,


i currently have this setup


52inch sharp 1080p lcd

ps3

JVC rx-8040 amp ( main thing i am asking about )

-Pioneer S-VSL6C center channel @130W peek

-Kenwood LS-V730 mains @120W peek

-kenwood LS-V150-B rears @110W peek

- NO sub


ok i mostly play PS3 games and watch Bluray movies.


i am thinking of getting a new amp for hdmi and all that trueHD stuff i have been hearing about.


keep in mind the only reason i am thinking any upgrade at all is because i got a $400 gift card to sears, so no selection on the amp, they got sony and more sony.


sears has the


--Sony STR-DG820 reciver


would that be worth 400$ to replace the jvc ( cable management and using only hdmi vs hdmi, a hdmi splitter, and optical cables would be nice but is not a main deciding factor )


or maby new speakers or a subwoofer ?? again only what sears has.


maby a mini system ( I am not to knowlageable on this, I am pritty sure that what i got now is going to still be a lot better then any $400 dollar prebuilt home theater system but... not sure.



all said and done i have only 400$ to throw at this, if ya all think for that price range i should just keep what i got and get tools or whatever, also let me know



Thanks for any info.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
I've been disappointed by Sony equipment, including their higher-end "ES" series. I'd suggest getting something else for the money.

Getting the "True HD" input through HDMI is nice if the rest of your system is already great, including your room treatment. However, Dolby Digital will do just fine until that point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbobstone /forum/post/15506377


would that be worth 400$ to replace the jvc

If you want the hirez codecs, yes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok dont know much about hirez codecs, i do remember reading something about TrueHD but i also read that the ps3 already decodes it, soo will i need a fancy hirez audio codec amp to support all the codecs seeing as i got a ps3?


will i notice a difference between my current amp and the sony 820 ?


second question


if the amp is a wast of money considering my current setup how about this



boston acoustics 150W RMS powered 10" sub model #HPS10SEMDNT

for 194$



Thanks

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbobstone /forum/post/15523238


ok dont know much about hirez codecs, i do remember reading something about TrueHD but i also read that the ps3 already decodes it, soo will i need a fancy hirez audio codec amp to support all the codecs seeing as i got a ps3?

At the very least you need HDMI.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zbobstone /forum/post/15523238


will i notice a difference between my current amp and the sony 820 ?

Difference in what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
Don't do it.


Not just for high def audio anyway. If you want some other features too and you like the stuff at Sears then knock yourself out. Personally I wouldn't touch a Sony receiver with a ten foot pole. And I recently upgraded my system for high def audio and can't tell a bit of difference. Now I haven't really done a back to back test of the same movie but I'm not blown away by the high def titles I've watched. Doesn't sound any better than it did before.


I was similarly skeptical about the image quality upgrade, but now I'm very glad I made the jump to Blu-ray for that. It's almost painful to watch DVD's now.


And before anyone says it I have very good hearing. I've been a musician most of my life and can tune most instruments by ear. My system isn't super high end, but it's not HTIB either. This huge difference some people describe, frankly I think they're delusional.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15525249


At the very least you need HDMI.



Difference in what?


i use the optical for sound to the jvc amp and the hdmi for video to the tv.


difference in sound quality, ignoring the TrueHD aspect is the sony going to be better then the JVC i currently got


or for a better idea of where i am comming from...


i just want to make sure, look at it like it is a "FREE amp upgrade" ( cause it is a gift card ) for me and let me know why i might switch, if it is only worth it to "SAY" I have TrueHD but i wont really hear any diffrence or i might actully be getting a worse amp with more bells and whistles. that is the info i really need.


Thanks

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15525249


At the very least you need HDMI.



Difference in what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWest /forum/post/15528835


Don't do it.


Not just for high def audio anyway. If you want some other features too and you like the stuff at Sears then knock yourself out. Personally I wouldn't touch a Sony receiver with a ten foot pole. And I recently upgraded my system for high def audio and can't tell a bit of difference. Now I haven't really done a back to back test of the same movie but I'm not blown away by the high def titles I've watched. Doesn't sound any better than it did before.


I was similarly skeptical about the image quality upgrade, but now I'm very glad I made the jump to Blu-ray for that. It's almost painful to watch DVD's now.


And before anyone says it I have very good hearing. I've been a musician most of my life and can tune most instruments by ear. My system isn't super high end, but it's not HTIB either. This huge difference some people describe, frankly I think they're delusional.



thanks for the info. I dont like sears per say, i just got a gift card for 400$ for them, and i am not really a tool guy so... not much else to choose from but audio stuff or maby just get a lot of BluRay movies from them...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20,735 Posts
Go buy some tires or something. Or a washing machine or something.


Craftsman sucks bad.


Sony sucks worse. Their ES stuff used to be solid, but that was a long time ago and Sony killed that line long ago.


To be honest, I would upgrade speakers first, but go to a real audio store with real speakers. Sears doesn't sell any good speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile /forum/post/15529034

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_1...stFilter=Brand



this may be a better option. alternately if they selll this they may be able to special order a real denon receiver--id talk to them and see if you cant have them order you a 2309 or 2809 and put the card toward that.

The 3 digit numbered receivers are the ones sold to CC, BB, and others like Sears. The 589 looks like its just a 5.1 version of the 1609, all other specs look the same. Doesnt seem that bad....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,945 Posts
Honestly, I do not know if the SONY bashing is warranted or not. I think I would agree were we discussing the equipment a few years back. I do not know much about the current line-up. But I have wondered. My understanding is that they have addressed some of their issues and that the current receivers are more "up to snuff".
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top