AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build a new 3.1 system in my living room. I saw a local place had a set of klipsch RF 52 II and I really like them. However they are near impossible to get in black as they are sold out. I have also been looking at the RF 42 II as they are available. There does not seem to be many reviews on them. Some reviews seem to say get the book shelf ones instead...why? Can I get some input? It has been years since I have had a real system. The room is 14x19 with 13' ceilings. I do plan on a sub and probably will get a Yamaha RX-V 577 to power it all. Keep in mind I am currently using a $600 powered soundbar and my last system was a Polk RM6700 in a much smaller room.

Thank You

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
To be honest, I find the whole bookshelf/tower debate kind of BS when it comes to sound if each is properly set up. The -42s are the smallest tower in Klipsch's line up. In a room that big, I would keep hunting for the -52s. There's nothing wrong with the -42s. They are just not big enough to fill a room of your size. Unless you are sitting 8-10 feet or less from them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest, I find the whole bookshelf/tower debate kind of BS when it comes to sound if each is properly set up. The -42s are the smallest tower in Klipsch's line up. In a room that big, I would keep hunting for the -52s. There's nothing wrong with the -42s. They are just not big enough to fill a room of your size. Unless you are sitting 8-10 feet or less from them.

I would be sitting about 10ft away as my layout is the narrow direction. I did find some 52's but would have to get each one separately from different sellers. One was from a seller on Amazon (good reviews though) and the other from an online retailer. Not sure if the seller on Amazon is an authorized retailer (warranty). The seller has sold many of these speakers though.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Try in here! AVS, I believe, is a authorized Klipsch dealer! Give Craig Peer in here a shout. 10 feet is not too bad. You will need a sub but you mentioned you would be getting one.

·
Registered
10,218 Posts
I am looking to build a new 3.1 system in my living room. I saw a local place had a set of klipsch RF 52 II and I really like them. However they are near impossible to get in black as they are sold out. I have also been looking at the RF 42 II as they are available. There does not seem to be many reviews on them. Some reviews seem to say get the book shelf ones instead...why? Can I get some input? It has been years since I have had a real system. The room is 14x19 with 13' ceilings. I do plan on a sub and probably will get a Yamaha RX-V 577 to power it all. Keep in mind I am currently using a $600 powered soundbar and my last system was a Polk RM6700 in a much smaller room.

Thank You
Crutchfield has them for $240 each.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Thank You
Newegg sale today, $398 for the pair.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Newegg sale today, $398 for the pair.

Good find! I cannot tell if the sale is just for today? There is also a $50 gift card included!

How far from the wall should these or the 52's be? I am concerned with the depth of the 52's. They are about 4" deeper than the 42's.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Good find! I cannot tell if the sale is just for today? There is also a $50 gift card included!

How far from the wall should these or the 52's be? I am concerned with the depth of the 52's. They are about 4" deeper than the 42's.
According to the ad, you have until March 14, 2015. I wouldn't wait that long, b/c deals like these can run out of stock. I had forgotten to mention the gift card. As for distance from the wall, if you mean the rear wall, most often I hear at least 2-3 ft for dynamic speakers. I have the Pioneer Andrew Jones towers up front, and when they're closer to the wall, especially the one that's closer to a side wall, there is more of a boominess, but it's mostly apparent to me only when I'm doing a channel test with low frequencies. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
10,218 Posts

The ports on my 62s are about a foot from the wall. No issues.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Ideal distance is somewhere between 4-6 feet from the front baffle to the wall behind them. No matter what the speaker. But there are a lot of other variables to change that. Most of what that distance effects are frequencies below 4-500 Hz. Higher frequencies are more "beamy" and doesn't matter how far out the speaker is from the wall. Yes, the Klipsch are a little deep for their size. Just play with them until you find what works.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the advice. I have a set of 52"s on the way in black. I found a set directly from Klipsch. I talked to them about a reciever. They suggested a denon X3100 or Yamaha RXV A840. Those are a little out of my price range. I found an open box from crutchfield that may fit the bill. It's a denon X2100 and is rated at 95w a channel. Klipsch suggested the above because of slightly more power and the spoke highly of Yamaha"s amps in their receivers. However I hear better things with audessey over the Yamaha equivalent.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I cannot speak to Audyssey but the status quo does hold it in higher regard than YPAO. If you do not need a current model year receiver, you could purchase a higher end refurbished receiver from Accessories4Less. For example, the RX-A1010 (2011 Model) does nearly everything the new models do but can be had for the same price as the RX-V577 and has superior components plus an improved version of YPAO:

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...2-network-aventage-av-receiver-airplay/1.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want to get something more current because of the HDMI 2.0 option. In a couple years I may get a 4k tv and I don't want to be dead in the water.

Can 10w a channel really make that much of a difference (95w vs 105W)? Being this will be going in the family room it is not like this is a dedicated theater playing at reference levels. Either way this system will be a huge jump up from my Boston Acoustics TVee model 30 soundbar.

Klipsch recommended the RC42 center. I thought that was a little odd but ordered that instead of the RC52. Not sure if this was a mistake or not. I do have a 30 day return with Klipsch anyway. I may also go with the R-110SW sub. There is no special deal so I held off for now. As soon as I get the speakers in and I inspect them for damage I will order a receiver. Hopefully I will get a tracking number tomorrow. For some reason I wonder if their inventory on the computer is accurate. We will see.

BTW Klipsch really was great to deal with on the phone. They took the time to look up specs of the receivers I was looking at. They easily could have just suggest for me to buy something with XXX watts per channel.

·
Registered
10,218 Posts
I want to get something more current because of the HDMI 2.0 option. In a couple years I may get a 4k tv and I don't want to be dead in the water.

Can 10w a channel really make that much of a difference (95w vs 105W)? Being this will be going in the family room it is not like this is a dedicated theater playing at reference levels. Either way this system will be a huge jump up from my Boston Acoustics TVee model 30 soundbar.

Klipsch recommended the RC42 center. I thought that was a little odd but ordered that instead of the RC52. Not sure if this was a mistake or not. I do have a 30 day return with Klipsch anyway. I may also go with the R-110SW sub. There is no special deal so I held off for now. As soon as I get the speakers in and I inspect them for damage I will order a receiver. Hopefully I will get a tracking number tomorrow. For some reason I wonder if their inventory on the computer is accurate. We will see.

BTW Klipsch really was great to deal with on the phone. They took the time to look up specs of the receivers I was looking at. They easily could have just suggest for me to buy something with XXX watts per channel.
10, 20, 30 or even 40 watts will make little difference. 99% of the time you'll be using less than 5 watts.

I'd get the biggest center you can fit or afford. Get the 52 if that's the biggest you can get.

Skip the Klipsch sub, especially at list price. There are many subs that are far better for the price. Just go to the sub forum when you're ready to buy and ask there.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gotcha on the receiver. I think the better Audessey will be more beneficial than 10w a channel in my case.

If something were to go wrong with my order of the RF52's what is the story with the RB 51's or 61's? According to klipsch they are good for a medium sized room. Would these be a better solution than the RF42's?

Sorry, Just lacking confidence in shipping and actual stock available.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.