AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i have a HTPC now but want to go a different route. I currently have a Silverstone Case with the 7" touchscreen. AMD, 4gigs of ram, HDAV slim, Blu Ray drive and 6Tb of HD. I want to go with a Norco 4020 since i can use 20 hard drives with it and also since the touchscreen on my case has been a nightmare. I can not run 1080 without the touchscreen being picky. My screen does not fit the screen correct just too many issues and rather go a more simple route. I have read a few builds on the forum using the same case and thank you to those people that have posted their builds as it has been very helpful. I would love to hear what everyone would do if it were their build. I want to fill it with 20 Hard drives. 1.5Tb each. Im sure a HDAV slim would be a must. Needs to be Blu ray, 1080p, 7.1 sound as i will use this with my Sony ES receiver. I do not know if having a dedicated video card would help but i want the screen to fit correct and also be at the best picture quality as i will use this mostly to play Blu Rays and Dvds through My Movies with this. So please any input on parts you would use if it were your build and why. Also any and all software you would use. I would love to hear it as i will be putting my server for sale tomorrow and putting a part list together. Thanks !

Keith

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya that looks like a real nice case. I still like the Norco. Do they make a slim Blu Ray drive ? Or a slim Blu Ray Burner would even better just in case but i plan to store all my movies on the hard drives anyways

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks that would work. Do they sell slim burner drives ? Also what sort of hardware and software would you use ? I need it 1080p, 7.1 sound. What route should i use in order to control all 20 hard drives ? I will not order 20 right out of the box but i would like it so all i have to do is just add the hard drives as i go on and already have it setup for that. I would want the True HD and DTS Master and if i could bitstream it that would be even better. How would all 20 Hard drives show up on my computer ? Would it be just as my server i have now is. I have 4 1.5 tb hard drives and they are listed c,f,h,i. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
No slim burner.

Your going to need a Raid card for the setup, you could set it up as JBOD. I would read this thread .

For 7.1 and bitstreaming you will need the Asus HDAV1.3, read this thread .

Do some research before you start your build so you understand what you are getting into with a server.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera /forum/post/17010438

No slim burner.

Your going to need a Raid card for the setup, you could set it up as JBOD. I would read this thread .

For 7.1 and bitstreaming you will need the Asus HDAV1.3, read this thread .

Do some research before you start your build so you understand what you are getting into with a server.

I hear ya. I just read on another thread that i could use 2 SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8 64-bit PCI-X133MHz SATA Controller Cards for all the hard drives. I have a Asus HDAV1.3 card in my current machine and use it with TMT but still have not seen a option for bitstreaming. I was planning on a setup like this but maybe change a few things i will use the thread as a reference when i do start my build. Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera /forum/post/17010515

I wouldn't use those cards as they don't support OCE if you want to have a Raid 5 or 6 system.

OCE ? What is that ? I thought raid is just if you want to make sure it is protected. Arent most raid cards $ 400 and up ? Would i need 2 ? Also does everything else look ok as far as a part list ?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
How much do you want to spend. What motherboard do you have now?

OCE = Online Capacity Expansion

I would do some heavy research on the subject before you start spending money. That system is built to utilize the 2 cards that he bought, there are many different ways to build a server.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Also, keep in mind that timinohio's build was setup as a dedicated server. He used software raid and not hardware raid. This reduced costs, but does affect performance overall. I personally have a Norco 4220 in my garage. Awesome case, but very loud. I have not bothered to integrate a graphics card or optical drive, because mine is set-up as an unraid server only. One thing that you could probably do is keep the norco case in another area, and use your current build to playback the media.

Unraid is simple stupid to use, and you can setup sharepoints very easily. Your local machine will map the network drives an whala. If you insist on making the norco machine your primary for playback, I hope you either have a environment that dampens the sound, or you are running AV cables pretty far. Or you can mod the case and fans. Even though my setup is in a garage, it is pretty loud, I may mod my fans soon. Also the lights on the norco case are very bright.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts