AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this more than once now, so I want to confirm before the customer sends me more stuff.

THe set is an NEC PG or PG Xtra. Fault is a standard F8 error code. The customer sends me the C board, I fix it, test it for 4-5 hours and it's fine. I send it back to the customer. Same fault. The set powers up, shuts down, then powers up again, etc.

My theory is here that the shorted C board loads down the power supply so that it develops a fault. Take out the C board and that unloads the power supply to the point that the set fires up. I now also get the customer to send me the deflection board as well. I just had a customer in Tx that had this, now I've got another customer complaining about the same issue. THe fellow Tx solved the problems by swapping out the power supply.

I want to know if another tech has had this so that from now on I get the customer to send all three parts in. A bit more to ship and a bit longer to test everything, but at least I'll get it right the first time.

Comments?

Oh, and the customer is in the DC area. Hed rather have someone come out and pull the boards and assist than try and do it himself. Is anyone around in the area?

·
Premium Member
16,940 Posts
What side of DC? (got a zipcode?)

I've got a 6PG that works great except the green has wear (PS do you happen to have a decent 951E76[g]?)

I'm on the road for the next month, but I fly back on the weekends (except this weekend I'm going to Chicago for Cliff's HT meet).

But if your customer's in NoVA, I might be able to help if no one else chimes in.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
If it's a plain PG, F8 can be a dead def board as well as a C-drive - this happened to JSP.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Curt,

F8 = Convergence has stopped. As the projectors get older Im sure we will be seeing some oddities turn up here and there but on the most part its been a pretty dependable 'tool'

In warranty it was really consistant between the complaint error and the part needed. I have seen a few flakey power supplies but most of those were left to cycle on and off and eventually failed or gave some 'false' reports and double errors. I agree in a ramp down or 'loaded' state its possible. I have had pinched wires under a drive board give some really weird errors more then a few times and the same with loose screws under the mother board.

If the C Drive was faulty and needed repaired in the first place it most likely started from that fault and turned into something else after it was repaired and in working condition.

I have seen a bad HV board give a F6 and take the power supply out, change the power supply and it turned into a FD that finally noted the real problem, F6 isnt even an error code but it obviously took out part of the supply voltage.

E-mail diagnostic / repairs are not easy to do, you cant hear, see or smell what the projector is trying to tell you.

Mark,

On the early PG's a deflection board can give a 00 (normal) when it fails then a F8 for the C Drive. You listen for the HV to come up or not and if the red H LED stays lit without a 'blink'. Doug

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence
What side of DC? (got a zipcode?)

I've got a 6PG that works great except the green has wear (PS do you happen to have a decent 951E76[g]?)

I'm on the road for the next month, but I fly back on the weekends (except this weekend I'm going to Chicago for Cliff's HT meet).

But if your customer's in NoVA, I might be able to help if no one else chimes in.

Clarence,

I'm in NoVA 20191. Please e-mail me. My wife really likes the picture onthe NEC 6PG+ (GE 901) but we are still in op after Curt checked out the power supply, deflection board and convergence board.

egsharpe

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
We had this problem on JSPs PG+, I repaired and swapped out the C boards, and the F8 Error persisted.

Swapped the DEF boards and bingo, the F8 disappeared on JSPs machine, and appeared on mine.

I have two def boards now that cause an F8 cycling error if put into an otherwise working PG or PG+, so the DEF board could well be the culprit. It is an easy check, take their DEF board and put it in a working PG+ and see if it F8s.

I've also had a guy in QLD where supposedly the wave board caused an F8 error, but it cycled between F8 and some other code - I'll get more details shortly.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turns out Mike Parker is close to Ed. I hope he can assist, this one is a real puzzler, and Ed's been down for some time.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Curt,

I have another F8 finding. Shutting off the signal generators 768P signal shut down a PG9200 with a F8 error. The projector did have a system board problem going on but it also was in spec for the no signal condition. Unplugging for a few minutes let it power back up but was still having the 'dreaded scrambeled mess' problem. One note this did have a earth ground to neutral voltage abnormally

It seems to me we are seeing a lot more 'things' triggering this error. Doug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.