AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to disconnect the fan in my HDTV receiver but need detailed instructions on the process. I've tried simply unplugging the fan but the receiver won't come on that way. It looks like I need to fool it. Does anyone know how to do this or have any other options. I want to keep the current fan intact should I have to reinstall it to send the receiver back for any warranty work. I have already sent the receiver in once about the fan noise and other problems only to get it back slightly quieter. I can hear the fan over my TV when listening at low volume. This is unacceptable.

·
Premium Member
11,839 Posts
The fan is there for a reason. if the noise level is unacceptable, you have two options:

1) Get a different stb.

2) Put sound absorbing materials around your stb to eliminate the noise.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kip,

Thanks for your reply. As for your #2 suggestion The only way I can think of using some type of sound absorbing material effectively would be to surround or wrap my unit in this material which would trap heat in not to mention block the pathway to the infared window. What were your ideas of using such a material? As for suggestion #1 it's a little late for that one.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I remember reading on a thread somewhere that someone replaced the metal fan screws, washers & nuts with nylon parts. He claimed it made a big difference in fan noise. That and maybe a little foam strip insulation between the fan and the case might help.

The above won't help much if the noise is just from the air flow.

·
Registered
807 Posts
You might also be able to replace it with one that operates at a lower dB level while retaining the same cfm rating. I had to replace the fan in my DirecTiVo because it was failing and I found a plethora of fan options out there.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
You must hv sensitive ears. ;) I just got my pany back with the fix and can't hear a whisper. But maybe several years of guitar playing with full stack Marshalls could be it. hehe

As far as the pany you gotta love the way it does basic Direct TV through the High def input. Also Panasonic had an easy switch deal. You pop your card down and they send you a new one next day air, with a prepaid return label. :)

Good luck with your problem.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far I like the resistor fix and lower db fan suggestion. My local computer manufacturer was written about in the newspaper for having what they termed as Stealth computers. They use very quiet fans that are thermally controlled. If the wiring will work with my Panasonic that may be worth trying. I wonder of the resistor fix would work with a thermal fan? I could combine both methods if needed.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
guitarman,

I guess I do have sensitive ears or my fan repair didn't work as well as yours. I can still hear it 11' away over low TV volume.

What are you talking about with the easy switch deal?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Steve

I have the same issue, mine is 13' away and I can clearly hear it when the volume is low. This issue and the way the remote works pitifully on this box are my only 2 gripes. I guess I will have to live with them though.

I knew that this box had this as a con to it but I honestly did not think it would be this noticeable. It has a September 2001 manufacture date and has the venting holes on the side so I am sure it is the new updated version.

It is on a glass shelf so I do not know if that is making it more noticeable. Since it is an expensive brand new piece of electronics, I am not looking to open it up to modify it yet though.

Good luck.

Dan

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Why not sub a peltier junction ( a thermo-voltaic cooling device) many good ones have a differance of up to 20 degrees C across the junction and can be cascaded to provide more cooling. just rember to put the largest heat sink that will fit in the STB case on the hot side of the junction.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Its quite easy to bypass the fan and still have the unit function. Just pull the connector that connects the fan to the main PCB then short the middle two pins together (2-3) on the PCB connector. I've run mine like that (monitoring internal temp) and its fine.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do you know what 2 pins are #2 and #3? In a 3 pin configuration there is only one middle pin and I would assume this is #2 pin. Also how did you go about shorting these.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After considering all the suggestions I have went with Kebcubed's recommendation. The link to the forum showing how to do the procedure was great with good photo's also. The only thing I did different was to use 2 47-Ohm resistors in line to get the amount of noise reduction I was looking for. The result was great with still enough cfm of air movement to physically feel air being pushed out of the unit.

Thanks for all your input. especially you kebcubed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How do I know what wires to short to be able to disconnect the fan? Doug mentions pin 2 and pin 3 how do I know the difference between 1 and 3. Can you give me the colors? I have 3 wires going to the fan plug. Red and black and white. Which colors should be shorted?

Thanks

JSL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.