AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I look at the prices of their processors I wonder even if I had that kind of money would I be able to part with my cash.

$20K for a piece of electronics makes me nervous in a few ways, actually many, but a few easily describable. They can break down, not have the latest and greatest format, and they depreciate. Oh yeah, if my wife ever found out how much I actually spent on my toys and this was one of them, life wouldn't be so grand. I would more likely spend that money on a good pair of speakers. They don't have as many of the negatives. I've had my B&Ws for 14 years, and they give me as much joy today as they did the day I brought them home. Now I've replaced my source three times over.

Ok, now here's my long-winded question, maybe not $12K or $20K, but what about a comparable processor for between $5 - 7K? And the same for the amp(s). I have the B&W 604s up front right now, and the B&W dipoles, sub, and center, but am upgrading to the 803 diamonds and larger center.

Thanks for any advice, I've fallen off the face of the earth electronically in the past few years, so I'm really not sure where to start right now.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
Every piece of electronics - processor, amp, speakers, etc. will be obsolete within a few years no matter how much you pay; that's the price of admission.

Personally, I like the Denon AVP-A1HDCI(A) surround processor - it's less than the others you cited ($7499 MSRP) and has been well-reviewed. Others to consider are the various Anthem models, which have more bells and whistles but (at least to me) don't sound QUITE as good.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
The Cedia show is in a couple of weeks and will feature several new Pre/Pros including the low cost but excellent sounding and full-featured Integra 80.3. Whatever you do, be open-minded and audition several.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk /forum/post/20865024

Every piece of electronics - processor, amp, speakers, etc. will be obsolete within a few years no matter how much you pay; that's the price of admission.

Personally, I like the Denon AVP-A1HDCI(A) surround processor - it's less than the others you cited ($7499 MSRP) and has been well-reviewed. Others to consider are the various Anthem models, which have more bells and whistles but (at least to me) don't sound QUITE as good.

How do speakers become obsolete within a few years? Some actually get better after a few years, that's what I'm told anyways. My ear isn't that refined.

Thanks for the Denon and Anthem suggestions, I've heard Denon systems before and liked them, never an Anthem one. Thanks again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez /forum/post/20865308

The Cedia show is in a couple of weeks and will feature several new Pre/Pros including the low cost but excellent sounding and full-featured Integra 80.3. Whatever you do, be open-minded and audition several.

Wow, I wish I had known about this with a little more lead time, it looks like the best way to try out some gear. I never thought of going this route, I've only been to some high end shops. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_man /forum/post/20868732

How do speakers become obsolete within a few years? Some actually get better after a few years, that's what I'm told anyways. My ear isn't that refined.

Some of the most desired speakers are JBL c50 Olympus speakers from the 60's. There's a Ebay auction right now with them at just under $5000. Quality speakers can outlast several receivers.

Fred

·
Registered
439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfred /forum/post/20868782

Some of the most desired speakers are JBL c50 Olympus speakers from the 60's. There's a Ebay auction right now with them at just under $5000. Quality speakers can outlast several receivers.

As long as we're talking of "speakers as furniture," I'd rather have a pair of MAXX 3's.

But I'm pretty sure that we agree on your general premise. Good speakers - if treated well - will last a long time.

But speaking of eBay, go look at prices on older McIntosh stuff (like a mc240 or mc275 amp for example) and tell me that those are "obsolete" at those prices...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerzdosen /forum/post/20868932

As long as we're talking of "speakers as furniture," I'd rather have a pair of MAXX 3's.

But I'm pretty sure that we agree on your general premise. Good speakers - if treated well - will last a long time.

But speaking of eBay, go look at prices on older McIntosh stuff (like a mc240 or mc275 amp for example) and tell me that those are "obsolete" at those prices...

Really if you go the way of seperates you could really only need to change the HT processor and keep the amps, turner, etc and preserve your investment for decades (as in the case of McIntosh equipment). I've been able to keep my non HDMI receiver relevant by buying a BD player that decodes the new HD audio formats. Combine that with a HDTV that has a lot of inputs, I may get a decade or more from my older flagship Pioneer VSX-59TXi receiver. If I actually listened to radio, I could even buy a tuner to get the new HD music stations.....

I have a person history with the JBL C50's, my Dad had a pair and when blasting a 1812 Overture LP neighbors called the cops thinking there were actual shots fired... Not that funny actually when it happened....

Fred

·
Registered
30,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_man /forum/post/20864791

Thanks for any advice, I've fallen off the face of the earth electronically in the past few years, so I'm really not sure where to start right now.

Well, there are tons of reviews of modern prepros that you can read on the 'net. I have done quite a few ( http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round/ ) but there are many at other sites (of which I will only mention http://www.hometheater.com/category/...cessor-reviews ) and you can Google them up.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Though it took a while, Theta did finally release the HDMI Module for the Casablanca. While the price of admission is amazingly high for most, it would be one of the few that you could be reasonable confident that new features down the road can and will be available.

Personally, I think something like the Integra 80.2 or 5508 is plenty good enough even for the most ambitious HT's. While there are SSP's that use more expensive Parts, etc... The point of diminishing returns is a major factor past these SSP's.

If money is not an object then the Casablanca, Mark Levinson SSP, or a Meridian would be fantastic.

AD

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerzdosen /forum/post/20868932

We do agree about speakers! Not sure about eBay though. I'm very wary of eBay for most items, and I'd especially be wary of electronics, more so when the price starts adding zeros to the end of the figure. If I'm buying something that high end, I want some kind of warranty attached to it, or someone to call for at least a year who will stand behind the product 100%. I figure it's worth paying a bit more. I guess I'm a bit jaded from some past purchases on eBay that has me staying away, I even closed my account a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/20870142

Well, there are tons of reviews of modern prepros that you can read on the 'net. I have done quite a few ( http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round/ ) but there are many at other sites (of which I will only mention http://www.hometheater.com/category/...cessor-reviews ) and you can Google them up.

Exactly what I needed, thanks! Well, maybe not exactly. Some of the gear you review is beyond my wildest dreams right now, but that's why I still buy my Powerball tickets.

I used to subscribe to those two magazines, I will have to re-up later on today. Thanks again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20870237

Hello,

Though it took a while, Theta did finally release the HDMI Module for the Casablanca. While the price of admission is amazingly high for most, it would be one of the few that you could be reasonable confident that new features down the road can and will be available.

Personally, I think something like the Integra 80.2 or 5508 is plenty good enough even for the most ambitious HT's. While there are SSP's that use more expensive Parts, etc... The point of diminishing returns is a major factor past these SSP's.

If money is not an object then the Casablanca, Mark Levinson SSP, or a Meridian would be fantastic.

AD

I remember the talk, ten years ago, of receivers/processors with ability to be modified/updated to keep up with future formats, but I wasn't sold when I first heard that. I can buy it now since they're more pc-like, but still wonder if it's worth spending that much money on something? Then how much do the modules run? Is it almost worth getting a whole new processor? Isn't that Theta set-up just like a pc?

Those Integras look great, but I have been using a receiver lately and want to go back to separates. Every once in a while I like the extra juice that a separate system allows that a receiver can't provide.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_man /forum/post/20870666

I remember the talk, ten years ago, of receivers/processors with ability to be modified/updated to keep up with future formats, but I wasn't sold when I first heard that.

And you had good reason not to be sold on that....

The Onkyo TX-NR1000 was supposed to be the only receiver you would ever need because you could upgrade any piece to accommedate technology changes. Surprise, surprise... a couple of years into it's lifetime the model was dropped (along with their guarantee of upgradability). That caused a lot of disatisfaction among those that fell for that line.

I'm always a little weary about Ebay, but I have only had a $15 NEC TurboGraphix 16 controller purchase that I was unsatisfied with. While I was waiting 11 months and a day for my receiver to come out of the shop, I bought a backup VSX-59TXi receiver, backup DV-59AVi DVD player and a backup CLD-D704 LD player, all on Ebay. I was very happy with all of them!

On a side note, that Ebay listing I mentioned about those JBL C50's is from Staten Island so you could actually check those out in person if you were interested. I wish I was in the financial situation where I could pick those up myself. I have a "retro" stereo system in my den where I have a pair of Ohm F "Watchtower" speakers that I bought from a guy in the bay area.

Fred

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfred /forum/post/20870779

And you had good reason not to be sold on that....

The Onkyo TX-NR1000 was supposed to be the only receiver you would ever need because you could upgrade any piece to accommedate technology changes. Surprise, surprise... a couple of years into it's lifetime the model was dropped (along with their guarantee of upgradability). That caused a lot of disatisfaction among those that fell for that line.

I'm always a little weary about Ebay, but I have only had a $15 NEC TurboGraphix 16 controller purchase that I was unsatisfied with. While I was waiting 11 months and a day for my receiver to come out of the shop, I bought a backup VSX-59TXi receiver, backup DV-59AVi DVD player and a backup CLD-D704 LD player, all on Ebay. I was very happy with all of them!

On a side note, that Ebay listing I mentioned about those JBL C50's is from Staten Island so you could actually check those out in person if you were interested. I wish I was in the financial situation where I could pick those up myself. I have a "retro" stereo system in my den where I have a pair of Ohm F "Watchtower" speakers that I bought from a guy in the bay area.

Fred

Haha! Staten Island is at the opposite end of the state right now, a bit further than driving from San Fran to LA. I do drive down to the city for cannoli, I guess to audition speakers wouldn't be too crazy.

My experience with eBay were all non-audio related, but frustrating because I felt that eBay/Paypal were not supportive. There were times the fix cost me more than it was worth. I had a 400+ rating, but it didn't seem to matter, I was a small fish in the big pond. I have friends like you who have favorable experiences, it's just the bad taste in my mouth that I can't get past to return.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.